Disfigured chick..1 day old. Help!

Areyoucluckingme

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
I'm relatively new on chick raising so bare that in mind. I'm on my second hatch in the incubator. First one went great. This second hatch - I got 4 out and three are doing wonderfully and the 4th seems to have some serious issues. It can't walk, it's legs are far apart and it either sits or falls on its back. I've done the vet-rap trick with it's legs and put it in a container to help it stand up and retrain leg muscles because I'm assuming it has splayed leg syndrome, however, the other issue is that he can literally swivel his entire head around almost and every time he does that, he falls over backwards. It doesn't seem natural that his head can do that. He eats, sleeps and poops ok. I'm thinking he may just need to be put out of his mystery but he's very feisty. Any idea whats wrong? He is a bantam.

Any idea whats wrong?
Star gazing or wry neck is a nutrient deficiency that the splay leg may also be.

I'm trying to find correct supplementation advice.. but that's a olace to start your research and easily off the top of my head.. if you're in the US.. Poultry Nutri Drench works miracles for chicks.

ETA: most sources suggest supplementing Vitamin E, Selenium, and Thiamine (B1)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom