disgusting question

MiddleChild

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2011
Eastern Massachusetts
I have been catching dozens and dozens of slugs with beer traps. When I empty them I keep thinking "This looks like organic feed." Do chickens eat slugs? :::gag::: I know ducks do, but when I emptied one of the traps onto the ground in the chicken pen, the birds came over, took a look/sniff, and exploded as if they'd gotten a nose full of red pepper! When I came back later I couldn't find the little heap of beery slimers, but couldn't tell if the stuff had been eaten or just dispersed and buried by scratching. Anyone have an answer?
sickbyc.gif

You know, everybody says chickens eat slugs, but when I tried to give mine some slugs, they shook their heads in disgust and spit them right out!

I dunno....Maybe our slugs just arent tasty here in Ohio!
idunno.gif

Mine eat slugs. But they didn't until they were about 7 months old. They would just shake their heads in disgust too.

All of the sudden one day, I pulled back a large ground cover I have and the girls came running. Underneath were dozens of little slugs and they girls just went crazy.

So their tastes do change over time.

But be careful. If you give them beer marinated slugs, they may never eat plain ones!
lau.gif

If you have lots of slugs, you need to get some toads on your property. Best slug control EVAH! Just find an out-of the-way spot to keep a little shallow pond (they lay eggs in water in spring) and supply "toad abodes" for them to hide and winter in. You can spend money on cute little houses, or just half bury some broken flower pots - just anything shady and moist they can crawl into to get out of the sun. They will take care of your slug problem right away.

il_fullxfull818618641.jpg

Back
Top Bottom