disheveled chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trailhound, Mar 13, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I am a first time chick raiser and my 3 girls are almost two weeks right now. Everything is going great and I love them to death, they are very entertaining and getting rowdier every day.

I noticed yesterday that they are starting to look a little disheveled, for lack of a better word. Especially on the backs of their necks- like their feathers are thinning. Their wings look a little scraggedly too, but I think it is new feathers coming in. They are pest free. They are starting to squabble over pecking order, so I don't know if they are pulling feathers out, or if this is just a growing phase. The other variable is that I have them at school (I am a kindergarten teacher) and the chicks have been on tour to other classrooms, so they are being handled by a lot of little kids. I always make the kids wash their hands before they hold the chicks and closely supervise to make sure they are gentle.

Should I be worried?

On another note, a teacher down the hall is hatching out quail eggs for 4H to release and I got to see one pop out of its shell today!

Thanks for the advice!
  2. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    I'm no expert, I'm sorta new at this also, but my 3 week olds are looking scraggly [​IMG] I think it's the new feathers coming in also.

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wait till they get to be tweens. Not a good phase, lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by