Disinfecting perches?

Birdielee

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
North Plainfield, NJ USA
I read a post once where a young teen with chickens sprays down the henhouse daily with a bleach solution. She seemed to think that was normal. Who else does disinfection often, and how? Most hen houses I've seen in person are
G R O S S
I'm trying to figure out a disinfection routine to reduce bumblefoot.

I haven't ever dealt with bumblefoot but I do a deep cleaning in spring. I make my own clearer but I don't know anything about reducing bumblefoot.

Bumblefoot isn't caused by imperfectly cleaned coops. It's physical damage to the foot - like from walking, perching or jumping on surfaces that are too hard, too sharp, etc. The wound gets infected and that's when you get bumblefoot. If you have the conditions for foot damage to occur in the first place, it doesn't matter how much you disinfect your coop, because the chickens will still poop and step in their poop and get infected regardless. And if you don't have the kind of conditions likely to cause foot damage, then it won't matter that the coop isn't disinfected, because walking in poop is not a problem when the chicken has healthy feet.

Disinfecting a chicken coop is overkill and unnecessary, and won't last long - they'll go and poop all over it as soon as you're done. If everything is kept dry and well ventilated, and there's a good bedding-to-poop ratio, it's clean enough.

Ok. Thanks. My hen only has sideways 2x4s so I'm starting to mix that up. And there's some old chicken wire on one edge of her run that i covered with pavers until I can get it out of the ground. I'll get to it soon. Other than the chicken wire I don't really know how she's getting injured in the same spot on her foot. It seems more like a pressure injury, always pushing on the same spot.

I did put a pile of hay where she hops down onto the sweet pdz

I don't really know how she's getting injured in the same spot on her foot. It seems more like a pressure injury, always pushing on the same spot.
Maybe it's the same wound that's not healing?
How are you treating it?
Maybe you already have a thread about this?

I read a post once where a young teen with chickens sprays down the henhouse daily with a bleach solution. She seemed to think that was normal. Who else does disinfection often, and how? Most hen houses I've seen in person are
G R O S S
I'm trying to figure out a disinfection routine to reduce bumblefoot.
Daily bleach is not normal.

I'm betting that person was a nutter.

I have never disinfected a perch and none of my birds have bumblefoot.

I have written about it before but never got an answer until now. I havent treated this particular case much, although it's awful looking. She uses the foot normally. This injury has been constant for a while but she had bumblefoot before in the same spot on both feet and my other hen had it starting on the same spot but i treated it.

If you leave bumblefoot untreated, the infection can spread to the bone and other tissues of the foot and leg, and slowly kill your bird. I recently helped a friend process a rooster who had been waning from bumblefoot for over a year. His foot looked horrendous. He couldn’t walk and had bed sores and lost feathers from lying around all the time, and was listless and pathetic, probably from the pain. He had to be put down. If you treat it early, it’s no big deal, but if left too long, it can get ugly.

Back
Top Bottom