dislocated hip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by artsyrobin, May 31, 2012.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have a chick with the hip problem- i am thinking it is an injury rather than birth defect, since i noticed it yesterday after moving them, he is broody raised .. i tried taping them, as if it is spraddle, i can pop the hip back in, but it won't stay- when i have him taped, he can't balance and ends up stranded with his legs behind him- any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A bad hip is a vet's territory. If a vet is not an option then I would cull. Sorry.

Good luck.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    well apparently it was a slipped tendon, once i was able to tape the hock in place the hip stayed put, he gets along fine now,

[​IMG]

4. annaewart

annaewart In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    So happy to se that he was okay:), There is much more to it than kulling them at the first sign of an Injury.. You need to give em a chance![​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Glad to hear it.

6. Unusedusername

Unusedusername Hatching

Apr 11, 2017
    Hey, I have a silkie chick who looks exactly like the original photo. It won't bend it's leg and the vet thinks it stems from the hip which could be fused. Could you tell me if strapping it would help and how you strapped yours? [​IMG]
    Thanks!

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Hi there Unusedusername
    This is a very old thread...years old....the original poster may not be around any more.

You will get more help if you post a new thread here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Post a picture if possible too!

Good luck and welcome to BYC!

8. Unusedusername

Unusedusername Hatching

Apr 11, 2017
    Cool, I shall do that very thing.
    Thanks!
    :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: