dislocated hip

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
i have a chick with the hip problem- i am thinking it is an injury rather than birth defect, since i noticed it yesterday after moving them, he is broody raised .. i tried taping them, as if it is spraddle, i can pop the hip back in, but it won't stay- when i have him taped, he can't balance and ends up stranded with his legs behind him- any suggestions?

Last edited:
A bad hip is a vet's territory. If a vet is not an option then I would cull. Sorry.

Good luck.

well apparently it was a slipped tendon, once i was able to tape the hock in place the hip stayed put, he gets along fine now,

So happy to se that he was okay:), There is much more to it than kulling them at the first sign of an Injury.. You need to give em a chance!
D.gif

Hey, I have a silkie chick who looks exactly like the original photo. It won't bend it's leg and the vet thinks it stems from the hip which could be fused. Could you tell me if strapping it would help and how you strapped yours?
fl.gif

Thanks!

Hey, I have a silkie chick who looks exactly like the original photo. It won't bend it's leg and the vet thinks it stems from the hip which could be fused. Could you tell me if strapping it would help and how you strapped yours?
fl.gif

Thanks!

Hi there Unusedusername
This is a very old thread...years old....the original poster may not be around any more.

You will get more help if you post a new thread here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Post a picture if possible too!

Good luck and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom