Dislocated leg!

CammieSilkie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Massachusetts
I gave my neighbors 12 of our 30 silkie chicks from our own little flock of 5. We kept three. well, one day about a month ago a fox got into my neighbor's coop midday, and snatched up one of them. In fright another got her leg caught in a fence, and ripped it out of its socket and dislocated it so bad trying to get away from the fox. A bunch of people were at my neighbors house, laughing at this dumb little chick that couldn't jump into the coop, but I came over and noticed that wasn't normal. her leg was all twisted sideways, sticking out straight to the side. my neighbors didnt want the chick so we offered to take it. I figured maybe it was sprained and she was just holding it awkwardly because it hurt, but after a month and decreasing health, its obvious its badly dislocated. She can't get out of the inside of the coop, and all of the hens pick on her badly. she struggles to get food, so once a day i bring her inside and give her chicken feed, cheese, watermelon, blueberries, lettuce, etc. and she loves it. She's not getting any better, and its been a month. tomorrow i am taking her to the vet, they say they take chickens. It its dislocated maybe they can pop it back in, but what I'm wondering is since its been a month will they still be able to? will they give her like, a cast or something? LOL
lol.png
I've never brought a chicken to the vet before. also, how much will it cost do you think? will she need surgery? money doesn't grow on trees
sad.png

p.s. if you feel under a chicken's wing, you can feel the lump of their upper leg / hip. if you feel the left side of my limpy chickie, the side with the dislocated leg, the upper leg / hip lump isn't there. its way down.

p.p.s. she's maybe... hm.. 12-13 weeks old?

Back
Top Bottom