1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dislocated wing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IRL, Aug 13, 2011.

1. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi
    My pekin duck was born with a wing defect. It was abnormally shaped, had fewer feathers than her other, and was in an odd position. Her wing has been like this for almost a year now, but yesterday it started dragging on the ground. It looks like it is dislocated. I tried wrapping it, but she was off balance, and fell over multiple times. I adjusted the wrapping and then she started hopping on one leg. I took the wrap off so she didn't hurt herself. What can I do?
    Thanks

2. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    A pic would help alot if you could get one.

3. Nickle.egg91

Nickle.egg91 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    im new to this site and dont know how to make a thread lol, but this afternoon, my chickens wing was drooped, but only one which is wierd, i think its broken, but it doesnt touch the floor, just ahngs a bit lower than other one, she doesnt seem to be in any pain, and shes eating and walking around so plz help! and also its getting really cold now, i dont want her to get sick, plz help :)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    post #3 of 3​
    2 hours, 28 minutes ago​

im new to this site and dont know how to make a thread lol, but this afternoon, my chickens wing was drooped, but only one which is wierd, i think its broken, but it doesnt touch the floor, just ahngs a bit lower than other one, she doesnt seem to be in any pain, and shes eating and walking around so plz help! and also its getting really cold now, i dont want her to get sick, plz help :)

I hope this works. The original 3rd post had text superimposed on the avatar.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    See if someone at the emergency forum can offer some advice.

Generally, binding the wing back into place helps quite a bit, but it depends on whether there is a break or a sprain, and if a break, where that is.

How do the joints feel?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by