disoriented muscovy duck

MaysDuck

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 29, 2014
I am really worried about my muscovy. She showed up at our backyard pond about a year and a half ago. She is such a sweet duck.

We saw her sitting on a nest in May of this year after she was acting very private and odd. The is no drake around so her eggs did not hatch but she sat on them for quite a while.

She is free range and was not a home for a few days last week. When we noticed she had returned, she was acting very private again and thought she was getting ready to lay again. But now it has been a week and she isn't laying or sitting so I can only think something else is going on. Here is how she has been acting since she came back home last week:

Alot of head bobbing and turning.
Feathers very ruffled.
Dirty like she isn't taking a bath.
Doesn't come when she is called.
Haven't saw her eat.
Disoriented when walking like she is walking in a circle.
Stays in one place most of the day that we can tell.

We do not use any chemicals in our yard but since she wasn't at home for a few days could she have been poisoned or something like that. I fear she isn't going to make it but don't know what to do. Please help.

images

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I don't know anything about ducks. But I am sorry she is having troubles. You might want to post this in our Ducks section for more help and input as what might be going wrong...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I hope you can get this figured out soon.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! sorry about your duck not doing well, hope you are able to figure out what is wrong.

Does she appear to have any wounds on her, look really well under her feathers. Do you have poisonous spiders or snakes in your area? Maybe she was bitten.

What are you feeding her - when she does eat? Ducks have problems when they have a niacin deficiency. Inquire about this on the duck threads. Or even google "niacin deficiency in ducks."

. I think you should keep her confined in a covered run or large cage so she can't sneak off. This will give you the chance to really observe her and keep her away from anything that has been bothering her.

Ducks bob their heads when matting sounds more like a lonely duck if you catch my drift and needs a mate to help her out with her problems as it is spring ....

I have had that very problem before .......

Ever had one of them days ??????????

Back
Top Bottom