disposing of chicken poop

yolka doodle

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
Essex, England
Hi, can i ask what do you do with the dirty litter after cleaning out your chickens? my partner took some bags to the tip the other day and they would not take them as they are toxic. I now burn it on a fire but it smoulders and i cant burn it quick enough and end up with lots of bin bags.
idunno.gif

Hi, i have never made compost before what do i need and how do i do it, sorry to sound stupid :) thank you.
You don't need to be fancy. Just start a pile out of the way. Put in it any organic waste like leaves, grass, table scrapes, chicken poop, coffee grounds, etc... Use a pitch fork or shevel to turn it once a week, wet it down every so often. It will break down in time. Use it in your garden or on your lawn.

You don't sound stupid, I have the same question. We have the same problem. We compost, our excess/leftover veggies. But our composter can not hold chicken litter..

Have thought about building an open air composter out've palets.. Not too sure if this will work.

Looking forward to hearing everyones respones, as what they do with all the chicken.... stuff..

Goodness, you make it as complicated as you wish, or just pile it up, out of the way somewhere. Keep piling it on. Eventually, in six months or a year? It literally dissolves into black gold. A kind of black soil compound that you can put around trees, spread on the garden, spread around the lawn and grow the best EVERYTHING ever.

You don't sound stupid, I have the same question. We have the same problem. We compost, our excess/leftover veggies. But our composter can not hold chicken litter..

Have thought about building an open air composter out've palets.. Not too sure if this will work.

Looking forward to hearing everyones respones, as what they do with all the chicken.... stuff..
Awww thank you :) i used to clean my chickens out everyday at first, picking the poop out but now i do it once a week, if i see messy ones i get them out but like i say what to do with it. making use out of it makes sense and i like to grow veg. :)

Goodness, you make it as complicated as you wish, or just pile it up, out of the way somewhere. Keep piling it on. Eventually, in six months or a year? It literally dissolves into black gold. A kind of black soil compound that you can put around trees, spread on the garden, spread around the lawn and grow the best EVERYTHING ever.
sounds good, thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom