1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dissapointment

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover456, Feb 25, 2009.

1. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    None of my 4 RIR eggs hatched. [​IMG]

I bought them on Ebay, which might have been part of the reason. The tempurature and humidy were both stable throughout incubation. But I'm not throwing in the towel.

I'm getting a whole new incubator. (I was previously using the Little Giant Still Air). I have my sights set on the Hova-Bator with auto-turn egg racks, because hand-turning mine 5 times a day was pretty energy draining. And that's a lot of anti-bacterical soap! [​IMG]

I'd like to purchase my eggs right here on BYC, and not just 4. I'm more chicken crazy than ever! [​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    shipped eggs can be iffy. good idea to not throw in the towel! give it another go!

the HB Genesis 1588 is a great incubator and the turner is a life saver! [​IMG]

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im glad you're not giving up. You'll be just fine; you just dont know how those eggs handled shipping. They might have been perfectly fine eggs, but shipping may have damaged them, or the cold. Jump right back in, you'll do fine.

4. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    miss_jayne wrote:

shipped eggs can be iffy. good idea to not throw in the towel! give it another go!

the HB Genesis 1588 is a great incubator and the turner is a life saver!

That's the 'bator I have my sights set on. [​IMG]
    I think the eggs were fine, just that mail service that probably treated the box like it was a hockey puck. No eggs were broken, but I'm inferring that they went through a rough ride.​

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:For the money, you might want to consider the Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco.

It's light years ahead of the Hova, for a very reasonable $150. If you can live with the 24 egg capacity, it will be money well spent.

6. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Out of four eggs it is possible it was just a bad batch. There is not nesassarily something wrong with the bator.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:For the money, you might want to consider the Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco.

It's light years ahead of the Hova, for a very reasonable $150. If you can live with the 24 egg capacity, it will be money well spent.

Ditto. The brinsea octagons are amazing, temps stable, and great hatch rates. Im glad your not throwing in the towel. Hope you have great future hatches!

8. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:Please they were shipped and I never have great results from shipped eggs. And only 4 really doesn't give you a great deal to work with.

I would try again.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    JFYI It isn't necessary to turn your eggs 5 times per day. Twice is quite adequate [​IMG] I hand turn all my eggs because I don't have a turner. My hatches have been super since using the dry incubation method. I turn once in the morning and again in the evening.
    Good luck on your next hatch! [​IMG]

10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Ooh....please don't give up....I feel your pain. Last year we had 2 really bad thunderstorms surrounding a tornado and it totally shook the little eggs and nothing nothing nothing. 40 beautiful eggs ....gone.

But try again, you have a beautiful incubator. Hatching is the miracle of watching life unfold....Please please don't loose hope. I'm praying, very seriously, that your heart and soul will be renewed and you will want to hatch some more. Those little eggs need you!

Bear with me a second and I want to show you the front door of a hatch that was 5 days late .......I almost gave up hope on that hatch...

[​IMG]

All I know is that I was going to dump them out the day before....My prayers are with you. If you need more eggs, I'll just give some to you, if you pay the shipping. It can my encouragement gift for the Month. Just let me know...Blessings on you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by