Distance between chicken coop and turkey coop

Druvius

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2017
Hi Guys;

I'm new here and I've read through quite a few posts about keeping chickens and turkeys.
Most questions usually ask if you can keep chickens and turkeys in the same coop. Mine is different.

I have a chicken coop. and I'm thinking on building a turkey coop approximately 10 feet away in the same building. The two will be totally separate and will not share anything between them.

My question, before I begin construction, is if that's too close.
I've read posts about Blackhead and I know the barn as never had any livestock in it before my chickens.

Any thoughts from any members would be great.

thanks,
Drew

If you have blackhead in your soil than you don't want them on the same ground. If you plan to keep them confined to their own areas it should be fine, especially if you don't need to worry about blackhead.

Firstly, thank you for your fast reply. Its greatly appreciated.
I'm going to phone the agricultural offices (?) to ask if theres any issue with Blackhead as well but I know the history of the property so I'm not too concerned.
One barn was for a florist for a short time and no livestock of any sort have been on the property. I think I'm safe.

Its nice to ask someone who knows more than I.
Again, thank you

Drew

Most times you won't know if you have a problem until you try keeping turkeys. If it is in your area a further distance apart may be necessary.

If I do have an issue, will it affect future chickens if I remove the turkey pen altogether?

Chickens generally aren't affected by blackhead like turkeys are, and if they develop it there aren't the large amount of loses like there will be with turkeys, so it isn't considered a problem with chickens.

Chickens can be carriers, and intermediate hosts, so can earthworms. Blackhead is a protozoan parasite in which the cecal worm is the primary host. Both chickens and turkeys can get cecal worms. If the worms are infected with the parasite than chickens can spread it and keep it alive on your property, while not becoming sick like a turkey will. Blackhead can remain active in the soil for a long time.

That's my understanding of it, though thankfully I haven't had a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom