Distance from Red Heat Lamp to Chics?

SierraChics

Hatching
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Columbia CA
Hi! First Posting!

We are buying one week old reds tomorrow. It is about 75 during day and 55 at night. How far should we place a 250 red heat lamp from the chics to start? Thanks for your help.

i used plastic totes with pine chips a nd i cut a piece of wire to mount light over bin I cut square scrap wire then bend the ends down around sides of tote attach light to one side I like to start light about 12 -16 inches from bottom place your hand under light if it feels warm to your hand thats what i like place water and feed away from light I like it hot enough under light so chicks will only stay directly under it for a lil while then move away keeps them from pileing up if they huddle up under the light and stay there it's too cold if they huddle away from the light and stay there it's too hot when it's right they will be hopeing around all over going back and forth from feed / water to light .... hope this helps and welcome to byc from kentucky

Put a thermometer under the lamp and when you hit 98 degrees you are good. Usually about 18" above the ground.

ETA: Make sure they have enough room so they can move away from the light if it is too hot for them. If they huddle under the lamp...drop it down a little, if the crowd the outside edge of the brooder...raise it up a little. HTH!

Last edited:
Unless you are getting a lot of chicks or have a large brooder the big 250 watt bulb may be overkill.

Anyway, the chicks themselves will tell you if they are comfortable or not. It's difficult to accurately measure the level of warmth experienced by the birds when using a radiant heat source (the bulb) so it works better to watch the chicks. This is what you are looking for.

diagram%25205.jpg

I agree, 250 is a warm light, I have a 250 in my brooder, but its in my coop getting down to 40's at night, and hardly breaking 60 during the day, I have it about 2 feet high, and it still gets over 95 degrees at night, but I have plenty of space for them to move away from it.
YOU must out down some sort of thermometer so you can check how hot it is, and maybe go down to a 100 watt if its that warm by you, you don't want to cook them!

Unless you are getting a lot of chicks or have a large brooder the big 250 watt bulb may be overkill.
Anyway, the chicks themselves will tell you if they are comfortable or not. It's difficult to accurately measure the level of warmth experienced by the birds when using a radiant heat source (the bulb) so it works better to watch the chicks. This is what you are looking for.
diagram%25205.jpg

What a great visual!!!

I also have a 250 watt bulb in mine but my brooder is 6'x12' so they have plenty of room. Our nighttime temps are still getting in the low 20's but they appear to be comfortable. BTW...I also have the Brinsea EcoGlow brooders in there but am trying to keep my coop temps up to at least 50 so they work efficiently.

Last edited:
I have a 100 watt bulb in my brooder but I live in the south where we have been having around 90 degree days and mid 60's at night.

Back
Top Bottom