Distended vent in 1 wk old chick? {Warning: graphic poop and vent pics ahead!}

Hufflefluff

Songster
Apr 28, 2015
Northeast CO
Hello everyone! We recently got four new chicks, and have had some serious issues with poop and vents.
When we first got them, one of them had several pasty butt, and after we cleaned it up we saw that her vent was a little bloody. She was still a distressed, and didn't make it through the night. After that we added some Sav- a- Chick electrolytes to their water for a few days, and it seemed all was good. That was a little over a week ago
Now one of our remaining chicks is having issues with her vent. She can't really poop; it's not matted to her down, she just appears really constipated. When she tries to poop she can't and her vent distends, almost inverting. We can see some blood vessel esque things and aren't sure what's going on. We put them back on electrolytes, but there's been no change and the chick is acting really sleepy and distant.
All she's ever had to eat are chick crumbles, a bit of chick grit, and maybe a milled oat.
I've attached some pictures; can anyone tell me what's happening/ how to fix it?
It doesn't look like normal pasty butt and we really want her to make it :(

I included a pic of her face just in case
Also, I've already tried using a q tip and some water to clear off her vent, which works for a little while, and dabbing some oil on it in case that helps.
Any help is appreciated!
Thank you :)

Are you just putting electrolytes in her water? I usually mix my electrolytes with a chick probiotic. It is really good for digestion. I use Sav-A-Chick Probiotic and Electrolytes. Hope this helps!

This might sound weird but massaging the area might help.
When one of my girls had pasty butt (which is not this, I know), I ran warm water out of the kitchen faucet, held her booty under it and massaged her vent with the purpose of loosening the dried poop. The poop came off quickly and as I massaged more to make sure I got it all, she pooped.
So that might help?
Some yogurt might also help as maybe she is having difficulties properly digesting?
Hope she makes it...

Back
Top Bottom