Treating prolapsed vent (Baby Chick, 2 weeks old)

dLamSlo8

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2023
Hi all, I think one of my chicks has a prolapsed vent. I've been spraying it with Vetericyn every day and trying to push it back in, but it's hard to keep it in. Could I get some help in confirming that this is, in fact, prolapsed vent, and how people have overcome and treated it, especially with baby chicks? Am I doing the right steps? It hasn't had an issue with pasty butt, so I couldn't see why that'd be a reason for it having a prolapsed vent. Since the vent has prolapsed, some poop has been sticking but not enough to cover the vent. Regardless, I still try to wash and gently rub it off.

Thanks so much,
Derek

Attachments

• received_629295852511975.jpeg
    received_629295852511975.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 63
Sounds good. Yeah the other chicks kept pecking at it, so we had to isolate the affected chick into its own brooder. It seems to be doing better, but I just worry about re-integrating in back into the flock when we eventually move them all out into a coop. Do you have any advice on introducing chickens to each other when it comes time to move into the coop?

Thank you,
Derek

Sounds good. Yeah the other chicks kept pecking at it, so we had to isolate the affected chick into its own brooder. It seems to be doing better, but I just worry about re-integrating in back into the flock when we eventually move them all out into a coop. Do you have any advice on introducing chickens to each other when it comes time to move into the coop?

Thank you,
Derek
I suggest using the see no touch method.

It would be way easier if you integrate the chick sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom