Distressed chick

Mjosephg

Hatching
Dec 15, 2015
Chicks hatched! 11 out of 13 eggs hatched(5 buffs and 6 Rhode Island reds). One of the chicks had some trouble hatching and now has a bloody vent. I tried to clean it with warm water but what looked like the yolk started coming out so I put him back in a separate brooder and i put some electrolytes in the water. What should I do?(the yolk is hanging out of his bottom and is a little bloody! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How is your chick now? Sounds like unabsorbed yolk. Some chicks can survive this and some can't. You need to try and keep the chick from rupturing it. If you can it may absorb the yolk. Keeping it confined is best. You may also need to look out for mushy chick, this is infection in the umbilical area. The area needs to be kept as clean as possible.
Here is an article on it ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

Hope your chick has made it as I see you posted over 11 hours ago :fl

Thanks for your reply! He is still hanging in there. I determined the yolk was coming out of his navel and it eventually started pulling the intestines out too. The only way to stop the rest of his bowel from coming out was to cut off the yolk. Then I pushed the intestines back in and gave him some electrolytes. He is looking pretty good for now.

Back
Top Bottom