Disturbing Egg

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
I recently adopted a new hen. Today when I cracked open one of her eggs, there was what looked like a chunk of meat or sausage in the egg white. I didn't take a picture because I was horrified and almost threw up. I've read about lash eggs and I don't know if this was that or not... it didn't look like pus or an infection. Like I mentioned, it looked like a chunk of sausage. The rest of the egg looked normal (yolk and whites). I'm worried about my new hen. What should I do?

I recently adopted a new hen. Today when I cracked open one of her eggs, there was what looked like a chunk of meat or sausage in the egg white. I didn't take a picture because I was horrified and almost threw up. I've read about lash eggs and I don't know if this was that or not... it didn't look like pus or an infection. Like I mentioned, it looked like a chunk of sausage. The rest of the egg looked normal (yolk and whites). I'm worried about my new hen. What should I do?
Hi there!

I’m sorry to hear about your issue with the weird egg. Do you happen to know how old the hen is, or if she’s had issues in the past.

I’m not sure that sounds like a lash egg, but really, the only way to know is by posting a picture of her egg tomorrow. It will be a lot easier with a visual 😊🥚

Lash egg material is basically fleshy pink egg material that has become caseous, like pus. It comes from salpingitis where the oviduct is inflamed. It can be bacterial or not. Hens can pass those in the droppings, or they can be deposited inside the abdomen if the egg goes the wrong way in the oviduct. Here is some reading:
https://www.bhwt.org.uk/hen-health/health-problems/lash-eggs-salpingitis/#:~:text=Lash eggs result from an,with waxy cheese-like pus.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Sorry I didn't get a picture. It was too late. I was so nauseated I had my husband throw it out.

It was a meaty looking hunk in the egg white. The yolk was normal and undisturbed.

This was likely a meat spot? I've had the little bloody meat stops before but never a solid mass!

I'm just glad it was not a lash egg. Phew!

Back
Top Bottom