Disturbing Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 7Maples, May 13, 2011.

1. 7Maples

7Maples Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2010
    What's the best way to kill a chick that's in pain? We had to help this little guy out of his shell and it's been about 36 hrs, he hasn't gotten up and moved at all and now his intestines have come out of his body. I really don't want him to be in any more pain.

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Ether. It's found in starter fluid. The stuff sold at auto stores etc. Put the chick's head in a zip lock bag, spray in the starter fluid he will breathe it in and go to sleep. It will take a bit longer for it to pass away. Not a long time but it feels long... It is better than having him in pain. (Use in a well ventilated area, it IS flamable).

Good luck, sorry you have to go through this.

3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Decapitation. Use sturdy kitchen shears if you've got them. Remeber you want to kill him not hurt him so be quick about it.

I know this is very hard but please take to heart that you are doing the right thing by him to end the suffering. [​IMG]

4. 7Maples

7Maples Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2010
    Thank you. Knew something was wrong with the little guy, turns out it was because it wasn't humid enough and he got stuck. Which is odd with the amount of water in there it should have been humid enough. He's gone now. Found out there was another that died in his shell too. I think I'll go watch the 6 live ones we have for a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by