Divide flock of 28 or not?

tomato lady

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Eatonville, WA
I have a flock of 28 hens. They are ages 8 weeks - 12 weeks. I am creating a new coop because my old one is too small for 28 adult chickens and they are feeling crowded I am sure. My new coop has two sections, each with about 80 sq. ft. Should I open it up and run the whole flock together, or should I leave it divided and keep the younger ones seperate? They do get picked on, but maybe that is the way of chickens and they will just find someone else to pick on.

The advantage to having it all together is the ventelation would work better because one side has way more ventelation.

The coop I am currently using will be used for brooding when I have chicks or isolation if that is ever necessary. I also will have a 4' x 4' isolation area in the large coop in addition to the 160 sq.ft.

If some are getting picked on, it's probably due to overcrowding. I'm a big fan of giving them as much space as possible, and maybe just opening the area up will resolve the picking? I'd try that first anyway. You can always split it later if it's not working for you.

If ventilation is the main concern, could you just make an all-mesh (or all-except-the-bottom-2-or-3-feet) dividing wall, so there is free air exchange between the better and worse ventilated havles of the building?

I wonder if the picking-on isn't just due to the age difference and going to sort itself out later as they even-up in size. (Assuming nobody gets too badly hurt and the habit doesn't get too badly ingrained - neither of which you can necessarily *guarantee* of course)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks. I think I will leave it all open at first at least. If the pecking continues I will divide it with mostly wire to keep the ventelation good on both sides.

I built my current coop to use as a brooder because it is close to the house and it is easy to take care of chicks there. I am really motivated to get my remodel done on the 2nd coop. Chickens will be laying age soon AND that will give me an empty brooder coop. Of course, I would never think of getting more chicks.......never.
wee.gif
really, I wouldn't think of it.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom