Diving head first into becoming a Chicken Momma! Need all the advice :)

Jrobinsonmtplus3

Chirping
May 20, 2017
Hey Y'all!

We are getting into the thick of gathering supplies for our run and I'm trying to find a decent coop for our needs. Our chicks are due to hatch the week of June 5. We have 2 of each of the following coming, All sexed females:
Speckled Sussex
Barred Plymouth Rock
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Buff Orpington

We live near Charleston SC. It's hot and humid here already and will only get hotter as summer progresses.

I currently have the following for the chicks when they first arrive:

Hard plastic kiddie pool I'm pretty sure the dimensions are 70" W x 70" W x 21.9" D (it has a built in slide so interior dimensions will probablly be less as I will have to block that part off)
Feeders->One Feeder
-->Waterers->Two Waterers
-->Feed->10 lbs Organic Chick Starter
-->Bedding Additive->None
-->Bedding->2x 3200 cubic inches pine shavings
-->Brooder Panels->No Brooder Panels (can someone give me dimensions I can use to create my own cardboard panels please?)
-->Heater->Lamp, heat bulb & brooder stand
-->Ammonia Control->Chick Flic, 5 lb
-->Options->Plastic, Flip Top Feeder, 20"

I have to double check on what the dimensions of the area for the run we have marked off currently but I believe it was 11x 40 but don't quote me on that just yet.
I am looking for a coop that sits up off the ground with nesting boxes on the outside with easy access that we will enclose in the run so they will have all the space under the coop to utelize as they need.

SO!

What can you advise this newbie chick mom of while I wait (im)patiently for my little tweets to arrive?
We are looking to purchase a prebuilt coop, where can i find one to suit our needs for a decent price? and by decent I mean I would prefer to pay less than $450 including tax and shipping if possible.

Thank you all SO much for any and all help!

You may only need extra heat for a short while. Use a smaller bulb, 125 watts or less. You might want to get them outside during the day too if it's warm enough.

I know nothing of prefab coops, we just build what we need. I have seen some decent ones but they are pricy. Make sure your cop has plenty of ventilation. Chickens do better in cold weather than warm.

Plan on putting down paper towels over the shavings for the first week and scattering some chick feed on it.

Chickens are a wonderful addictive hobby. This site has plenty of information and people who can help you out.

:welcome

I've loved reading through and geeking out on the threads so far :)
the brooder thread reminded me I have an old plastic octagon baby gate thing I can use to surround the pool and then we will just have to screen off the top.
They will be on our screened in back porch in the brooder.
how do I tell if the temp in their pen is ok?

I use a thermometer directly under the light to set my initial temperature, somewhere between 85-90 degrees. After my chicks arrive, my next batch is coming this week, I watch their behavior to determine if they are comfortable. Chicks should be evenly distributed in the brooder. If they are all under the light chirping loudly I lower my lamp a bit to give them more heat. I suspend mine from the ceiling with a piece of twine. If the chicks got to the outer edges of the brooder they are too hot, and I raise my lamp or lower the wattage.

Find some small sticks and screw them to a board as something to play on. We made progressively larger versions as the chicks grew.
Get a putty knife - you'll be scraping poo off everything.
Get a box of disposable latex gloves (ref: above "scraping poo off everything.")

Attachments

• IMGA0757.JPG
    IMGA0757.JPG
    988.6 KB · Views: 6
Find some small sticks and screw them to a board as something to play on. We made progressively larger versions as the chicks grew.
Get a putty knife - you'll be scraping poo off everything.
Get a box of disposable latex gloves (ref: above "scraping poo off everything.")

Oh yes... the poo.
thanks!

I bought a coop and run on Amazon. I am very happy with it. I read all of the reviews and finally chose a white one with green trim. I will be adding a bigger run to it and possibly another coop on the other end. My chicks are just 6 days old. Here's a pic of my coop without the run attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    502.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    609.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom