Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. yum!

I can't wait to see how the peas do.

-20F right now.

woo hoo about to go check for the 2nd time first two weren't frozen though. LOL

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I like that sprout set up Felix, I think I'll get some clear stackable totes for my greenhouse starts.... I'll just use the peat pots in side them... Yup think it will work.... A few holes drilled high for ventilation.... If it doesn't go well I can use them for sprouting

3. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Today's entertainment: chickTV
    Step 1 put some bread crust in brooder
    Step 2 watch the chaos that soon follows

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Hi guys been having computer problems... missed a bizillian posts. I tried skimming but dont have the patience.

The water tub of choice that I use are those black ones made of recycled materials. I LOVE them... So versitile... strong enough to use as a feed tub for a Percheron who has no issues over putting a size five Foot in it when shes done eating. So I had several when I first got chickens.

I tried those white and red waterers.... [​IMG] after two days in 100 degree heat.... I tried the all metal founts you turn and pull the galvanized lid off and fill. Problem with those is back wash... again 100 degree heat and what ever back wash is in the drinking rim migrates into the inside of the fount..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

When I switched out to the black tubs I was filling them every day with the hose. They hold at least two days worth of water if i forgot. Just dump sprits out the sand and refill. I dont even take em out of my dirt floored coop. Here the perk rate is seconds, and a bit of a muddy floor is a plus when its hot.

From there I evolved it to an automatic waterer by installing a Stock tank float. Same deal for cleaning dump sprits or swish with a toilet scubber and set upright to refill. I also learned to keep the waterer out of the direct sun.... one time I splashed some water on my foot and OW.... not horribly hot but hot enough. So out of the sun it went. I had a resin plastic table to set over the top... The bonus there was NO MORE chickens roosting on the rim of the tub.

Here in the winter if it were to freeze solid I would remove the automatic float and just dump the block out and refill. those tubs have very angled sides so nothing would stick.

deb

5. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    Great watch dogs, just wish I could have a trio here, but I am pushing local ordinances with the one roo and dozen hens. I am so glad I stumbled into this thread! Awsome, awesome, awesome. (Bows low to Ambergem, thread starter, who lives on one of the MOST beautiful places on earth!)

A bit about myself in TN, currently 10 F degrees, and sometimes 105 F in the summer. We invented humid here, I think.

I currently have ONE viable egg on day 19 in a Brinsea Mini Advance which I am locking tight after this post. I don't know if it will make it through hatch, and am sad the little guy will have no sibs. It is exciting for me cause should it make, it will be the very first chick from my only roo (technically he'll turn roo in May, as I hatched the BBS Black English Orp last spring.)

Mahen100
    Betty

6. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Hi Betty!
    A stuffed animal is great for lone chicks by the way.

7. Mahen100

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    [​IMG]

Is this one big enough? [​IMG] Hi back, Hennible, and thanks for the reminder.

8. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Betty
    Wow that has got to be the creepiest chicken head I've ever seen.
    :fl on your egg hatching

9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    @Mahen100

Hey, neighbor!!! :)

10. Mahen100

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN