Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

:p
    Been stuck at home since last weekend... This friggin' sucks! Jim barely made it home Tuesday after staying the night in Nashville...
    Got terrible Cabin Fever, gonna try to get into town today...

2. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    Pretty scary....yeah. But you should see me in it with the white sweats. That is creepy.

Thanks for the well wishes on the one egg that was viable hatching. I promise to buy a nice plush critter if that one makes.

3. DH and DS went out to start the trucks in the barn...I just shook my head. Why even bother? They spent 20 min trying, no luck. Now they are cold and grumpy. Silly boys.[​IMG]

4. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    My chickens even had cabin fever. They stuck their heads out but didn't venture beyond the coop door for two days. Yesterday in the blistering 30F temps, most came out to forage in the ice and snow. The dog loves it though, and his cabin fever is my real problem.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    My Missy refused to come out of the coop, and glared at me like it was all my fault! lol
    tntchix, I refused to even try starting my van, over an inch of ice coating it...

6. smart

7. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Congrats, you go girl!

8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Hallleluja [​IMG] and MEGA congratulations

deb

9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Sam, I think the clear totes would work great for that. What I would do is find some clear totes with a profiled bottom, so that parts of the bottom are a bit higher (maybe half an inch) than the rest, and then drill holes in that higher spot, and bigger holes in corresponding positions in the lid of the tote that sits under. Then put some sort of plastic grill in each tote on the bottom, like half an inch high or something. Then I would take the peat pots, and thread some yarn through the bottom of it, and leave it hanging like an inch out. Then just plant everything in them and stack the totes on top of each other, with a empty tote on bottom to collect water like the sprouting tower. That way you can pour water in the top tote, and it will drain through the whole system, leaving a bit on the bottom of each tote since the drain hole wouldn't be on the lowest spot. The yarn in the pots would wick up moisture into the soil, and you can water all of them at once by pouring into the top tote. Super simple and efficient self watering system.

My garden isn't that big, so I don't need this big of an system, but with your greenhouse it would be great. This idea will get Deb drawing up plans for you soon.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Cheese and rice! Great idea Felix.... I'm going to pick some up today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by