Dixie Chicks

frow.gif
evening :)

thats how it starts :D
hugs.gif

Good evening! Well, we just were up the street at our new house (still live in rental until major work is done so it's livable) to run the dogs. I didn't see the coyotes but heard them. Wow are they close! In the woods at the edge of our property. They come through the property a lot too. DH says they were trying to lure one of our dogs out another night and he had to call her back. I don't think our girls (our 2 dogs) would do well out all night up there. Chooks will be locked up anyway. We are meeting the septic installer up at the property tomorrow - he's going to give us his advice on best location for coop and clearing more brambles and possibly grading some of the property. Curious to see what he says. DH is finally getting serious about the coop building
yippiechickie.gif
We are talking to our builder about materials he has at his house to see what we could have for free/cheap. Helped a friend pack to move today and scored about 7 gallons of white and off white paint! I've been scouring the web and BYC for shed style coop ideas but if you have any you want to share please pm me!

I'm so tired tonight that I just wanted to come to bed. Josh agreed to feed. The person who thinks chicks and ducklings are cute, but that's it. Hates them otherwise. I was secretly watching him feed and he's out there individually checking on a possibly new broody. Petting random roosting hens and worried over an egg the 2 other broodies kicked out of the nest. He was even talking to and checking on my mandarin duck hen after she got under his feet and he knocked her down when he tripped over her. And people say mandarins are wild and unsocialable. She played hurt and then ran off whistling when he tried to pick her up, lol. I knew I loved this man for a reason. :love

Last edited:
I'm so tired tonight that I just wanted to come to bed. Josh agreed to feed. The person who thinks chicks and ducklings are cute, but that's it. Hates them otherwise. I was secretly watching him feed and he's out there individually checking on a possibly new broody. Petting random roosting hens and worried over an egg the 2 other broodies kicked out of the nest. He was even talking to and checking on my mandarin duck hen after she got under his feet and he knocked her down when he tripped over her. And people say mandarins are wild and unsocialable. She played hurt and then ran off whistling when he tried to pick her up, lol. I knew I loved this man for a reason.
love.gif
goodpost.gif

Sour scream
You’ll need:
A wide mouth quart mason jar with a lid
2 cups of organic, grass-fed heavy cream or half ‘n’ half
2 tbsp of active culture plain yoghurt
½ tsp. of mesophilic culture or 2 tbsp. of active cultured buttermilk
Step by step directions
You can make sour cream at room temperature on the kitchen counter, but a better tasting and more active culture results from fermenting it overnight in a warm environment. This encourages the proliferation of both mesophilic and thermophilic lacto-bacteria, giving you more probiotics and more complex flavour for the same effort.
I use my electric oven, with the light bulb turned on, to get just the right temperature to actively ferment the cream.
Step 1: Clean and sanitize both the jar, the lid, and any utensil that will come in contact with the cream.
Step 2: Pour the cream into the sanitized jar. Using a sanitized spoon, stir in ½ tsp. of the powdered mesophilic culture or 2 tbsp. of the active cultured buttermilk, and 2 tbsp. of yoghurt. Stir well. Put the lid on the jar.
Step 3: Create a warm environment to culture the sour cream, as you would if your were culturing yoghurt. I place a 2 quart glass measuring cup in the oven and put about 1 litre of hot tap water into it. I place the covered jar in this and put it in my oven on the middle rack. I turn the oven light on and close the door. The oven maintains a temperature around 95 to 115 F which is ideal or dairy ferments.
Step 4: Leave the sour cream to ferment overnight – 8 to 12 hours. As it ferments it will thicken and the flavour will improve.
Step 5: Refrigerate the finished sour cream.
Use this as you would store bought sour cream on baked potatoes, in stroganoff, as an accompaniment to potato pancakes, as a base for dips or sauces. Once you’ve tasted active, probiotic rich, creamy homemade sour cream, you’ll never enjoy the commercial product again.

Just buy Breakstones sour cream, its the thickest and the best! Also the Breakstones cottage cheese is the bomb! Really chunky cheesy curdy, yummm! More protein than Greek yogurt. I eat it with fruit like ice cream, or with salt and pepper, it goes great with a good bloody steak! Plus the place that makes it has been making it for over a hundred years! Crap though amberjem, it's sold as Knudsen over in your neck of the woods.

Just buy Breakstones sour cream, its the thickest and the best! Also the Breakstones cottage cheese is the bomb! Really chunky cheesy curdy, yummm! More protein than Greek yogurt. I eat it with fruit like ice cream, or with salt and pepper, it goes great with a good bloody steak! Plus the place that makes it has been making it for over a hundred years! Crap though amberjem, it's sold as Knudsen over in your neck of the woods.
don't think I am familiar with it

Good Morning! No sign of missing rabbit. Going to just write it off as a miscount and move on at this point. Little girl and I looked everywhere.
hmm.png

We need a new, huge rabbit/chicken coop. The 4 siblings we have in the coop-in their own cages. It works, but we need more room for more chickens and rabbits
D.gif
bun.gif

@Amberjem , I like the pic of that circle coop/chicken tractor-whatever it is called. I will go back and read later, but the pic is a good idea.

Counting down the days at my current job. 6 more work days!!! Yesterday another associate put in her notice. She has been there about 8 years. The place is crumbling down.

@minihorse927 , I know what you mean about Josh. My DH is not the chicken man. But he does tolerate my needs to have chickens and he has sustained from calling intervention. Even last spring when we had 98 chickens. We are down to 58 now. But spring time is just around the corner!
wink.png

Well, I gotta get the back of the car cleaned out so I can load up donations to drop off this morning. Then go to work. Have a great day everyone
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom