Dixie Chicks

@Outpost JWB Keep an eye on TSC sales, not just advertised but stop and see. I wasn't looking for a splitter, always done it by hand, up to ten full cord, 30 face a yr. TSC had a 28 ton on sale for the price of the 22, $1,199. So I had to get it. I didn't want to spend that much $ or any $ but it's a investment that'll last my lifetime I hope.

I have another drake, Page. Think I'll fire up the incubator.
Vehve says hi, and his bunnies are in freezer camp. More in the burrow, soon to imerge. Also he got a new dog.
That makes 1 person I know who raised meat rabbits successfully this year. A friend of mine failed, the babies became pets, aka "breeding stock", right!

If you are interested, I have some young Cayuga drakes that are extras. ~5 months old. Still working on final plans, but I am meeting someone for ducks half way between here and Vancouver Island in the next little while.

@Outpost JWB Keep an eye on TSC sales, not just advertised but stop and see. I wasn't looking for a splitter, always done it by hand, up to ten full cord, 30 face a yr. TSC had a 28 ton on sale for the price of the 22, $1,199. So I had to get it. I didn't want to spend that much $ or any $ but it's a investment that'll last my lifetime I hope.
That's one thing I learned, if something is good quality and will last much longer then the cheap version, it's worth the investment.
Applies from the dog grooming equipment I have to the wood chipper in the back yard and appliances.
Yes, I have spent $40 on a dog grooming brush, it has lasted 6 years so far and looks almost new. The previous brushes lasted 1-2 years and cost $12-$14.

My hen raised chicks tend to be much more wild.....like the hen teaches them that humans are bad. My roosters slept in today. King Tut didn't crow until 5:30am. Housework for yesterday went somewhat well. We still are not ready for construction. :th I need votes and opinions.....My laundry room is this color: My kitchen will soon be a dark yellow. The kitchen is in the middle of the laundry room and dining room. My kitchen is decorated with chickens. My dining room currently has big ugly wall paper on it. It will be stripped off and painted, but I am not sure if I should paint it yellow to carry out the kitchen, or if I should paint the dining room red or paint the far wall red? I'll try to get pics later so you can see what I am dealing with. Son text me yesterday & offered up help getting firewood from a neighbor. YEAH! :weee So he and I picked up 3 truck loads of unsplit firewood. I've been looking for a good log splitter. @Alaskan , What kind do you have? Been borrowing a friend's log splitter past 2years. It's a Husky 30 ton monster. I think the one we buy will be 27 ton or larger. It'll be used a lot, so I want it to be a good one that cuts vertical and horizontal. We had NO RAIN here yesterday!!! :D Finally! Way too soupy to get anything productive done out there though. Well, I have 2 loads of laundry to fold before work and still have to get ready for work. You all have a good day.
Spouse said no way to know unless we know the layout, how everything looks... Yadda, yadda, yadda... Clearly spouse wants a walk through. I like super bright colors... I find that the first week, it is a bit of "WOW that is bright!" But then it turns into just nice and cheerful, a good counter to the dreary dark winters. My pantry is a dark red, my powder room is a softer yellow (a bit on the manilla side) and they both open to the great room which is all wood paneling. So... I would probably go with all yellow... But my color aware child said no yellow in a dinning room ever, it should be red. :idunno
Thanks guys On a tragic note My young drake is dead. Sprocket was mauled by a dog two days ago (not my dog) and passed today of what I assume were internal injuries I was not aware of... Had I known I would have dispatched him two days ago. Oh man, he was my boy, my assisted hatch... Poor kid... Where was I on that one???
Super sad. :hugs
I have another drake, Page. Think I'll fire up the incubator. Vehve says hi, and his bunnies are in freezer camp. More in the burrow, soon to imerge. Also he got a new dog.
That crazy man! He already has WAY too many dogs. :sick (Said teasingly, I know other people like dogs)

@Alaskan don't you use dogs to get around in the winter
wink.png
?

@minihorse927 remember the bantam Araucana chick that looked like your Isabels?

She is super friendly... weird since she is broody raised...

Ravyn, she's beautiful. Which of your breeds are most snuggly? While our Ameraucanas are friendly and very tolerant of being held frequently, they do not seek it out. The rest (except for the more docile Wellie) definitely do not enjoy being held (Marans, Wellies, SFH, CL- to be fair the last 2 breeds came from a breeder at POL and weren't handled, if I had bought them as chicks they may have been friendlier). Also, what are the temperaments of you Lavender Ams? They are gorgeous BTW!

My hen raised chicks tend to be much more wild.....like the hen teaches them that humans are bad.

My roosters slept in today. King Tut didn't crow until 5:30am.

Housework for yesterday went somewhat well. We still are not ready for construction.
th.gif

I need votes and opinions.....My laundry room is this color:

My kitchen will soon be a dark yellow. The kitchen is in the middle of the laundry room and dining room. My kitchen is decorated with chickens. My dining room currently has big ugly wall paper on it. It will be stripped off and painted, but I am not sure if I should paint it yellow to carry out the kitchen, or if I should paint the dining room red or paint the far wall red? I'll try to get pics later so you can see what I am dealing with.

Son text me yesterday & offered up help getting firewood from a neighbor. YEAH!
wee.gif
So he and I picked up 3 truck loads of unsplit firewood. I've been looking for a good log splitter. @Alaskan , What kind do you have? Been borrowing a friend's log splitter past 2years. It's a Husky 30 ton monster. I think the one we buy will be 27 ton or larger. It'll be used a lot, so I want it to be a good one that cuts vertical and horizontal.

We had NO RAIN here yesterday!!!
big_smile.png
Finally! Way too soupy to get anything productive done out there though.

Well, I have 2 loads of laundry to fold before work and still have to get ready for work. You all have a good day.
Well, I would love to add my opinion if that's okay. If you have a deep yellow kitchen I would go with a deep red either on one wall in the dining room or the lower half of the whole room with a chair rail dividing it from the upper half. On top, if you divide it, or on the other walls, I would go with a lighter shade of the yellow you are using in the kitchen - maybe 2-3 shades lighter, depending on the light the room receives. We did one wall a deep red in a small dining room before (it was a high wall) and it looked awesome. I think the other walls were an earthy yellow, kind of like a deep wheat color if I remember correctly. I would agree with the earlier post about not using yellow in a dining room - I've heard it too but can't remember exactly where or why. I would say though that the red is stimulating for conversation and dining - it's a good color for dining rooms, offices, kitchens and some people like to use it to spice up the bedroom
wink.png
. I wouldn't use it in a room meant for lounging for instance, a more restful color would be better, like greens and blues, neutrals, etc. In the laundry room you could go with the same lighter version of the yellow that I recommend for a portion of the dining room and that would help tie them all together. I say lighter since I'm assuming it's a smaller room and you want to differentiate it from the kitchen. In the kitchen if you use some red accents, like with your chicken accents possibly, that will also help tie it together. I am certainly no designer so please take this all FWIW, however I have been painting my rooms since I was about 10 years old. I will soon be choosing colors of my own once we get started on the remodel of our new place. All other roadblocks except the construction loan are finally out of the way, so hopefully we can get started in about 6 weeks. This has been the longest process! Have fun with your remodel!

@hennible so sorry about your drake!
hugs.gif

Thank you! I love seeing all of your updates. You all are one busy bunch!

I meant to ask you Briard, how do you like your Chanteclers?(that was you, right?) They are one of the breeds I was going to get this past spring but the breeder flaked (I had been on her waiting list for Partridge Chanteclers). Our flock will free range part time so I was not considering the whites. The other heritage breed I am really considering is the Dominique. I love everything I am reading about them except the black/white pattern - never been fond of that color pattern but I may try them anyway. Problem is they are really hard to find locally and to have them shipped I would have to get a larger quantity. Occasionally I see birds on CL over the border in BC, do you know if I can bring birds back from Canada? Thanks!

@JulesChicks another couple good dual purpose heritage breeds, buckeye's and new hampshire's. If you can find breeder quality nh they are fast growing and meaty, same with delaware's.
If only I could have every breed of chicken I've ever wanted :-(

Yes, I have Partridge Chantecler girls. Hoping to increase my flock this fall. I have a breeder near by who sells hers started only, no eggs, no chicks. And those are her culls. They are a lovely, winter hardy breed. Love them for it!

With AI, you might have better luck getting hatching eggs across the border then anything live and even then the seller will need to be certified clean I would think.
@minihorse927 might know a little bit here on importing into the US from Canada.

I would check in the Ontario area, I think there are a couple breeders out that way or in the Kelowna, BC area. They did have AI in the Vancouver area, so if I don't know if that area is still on lock down to exporting into the US.

Back
Top Bottom