Dixie Chicks

Oh....to grow up without cobbler....I cannot imagine! lolol

Cobbler is sort of a deep dish pie....with no bottom crust. It is scooped, not sliced... and it is the best thing since before (or after) sliced bread.

It is casual and recipes do not have to be followed to the letter to come out delicious.

Cobbler is to fruit as dumplings is to chicken. Does that help, Canadian? :D

Last edited:
One thing I like to make that's similar is to take fruits or berries and put them in a pan, and add some sugar as needed (depending on how sour the fruit you're using is). Then I take about 2 cups of oat meal, maybe a stick of butter, a cup of sugar, some salt, a couple table spoons of wheat flour, and some cinnamon and cardamon to taste. Put it all in a frying pan and on high heat I start tumbling it all about until the butter has melted and the sugar starts to get some color. Then I dump the mixture on top of the fruit and throw the whole thing in the oven until it gets a nice golden brown color. Super yummy with vanilla ice cream.

Oh, and Hi everyone! Long time, no see. I see I just missed Deb. How's everyone else, Sam is that kid of yours talking and walking already?

And how's the summer coming along in Alaska, snow gone yet?

I've got buttloads of pumpkin coming this year, tomatoes are starting to look ok, we tried our first one yesterday. And looks like I*m gonna get some eggplant too. Beans are flowering at the moment, and planting mint in front of the chicken run was the best idea ever.

Heel low:

Wouldn't know it was July...may as well be JUNE for all the water we bin getting...
rant.gif

'Cept for visitations...we don't get these ones in winter...eh.

Gonna make Blueberry Cobbler this eve...got some ripe ones I bought last night and should use up & put to good use...
tongue.png

1/4 c melted Butter
1 c Flour
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 c Sugar
3/4 c Milk
2 c Blueberries
1/3 c Water
1/2 c Sugar

Bake at 350 degrees F

Butter in 1.5 quart shallow baking pan
Combine flour, baking powder, sugar & milk. Pour evenly over butter in pan
Combine berries, water & sugar
Spoon over batter and do not stir
Cook 40 to 45 mins

Should be good...we serve hot with heaps of whipped cold cream.

Beg of July

Tomatoes & cukes in greenhouse have begun flowering...been battling aphids in thar...them and in the Man Porch on the violas...bad year for ants thereby, bad year for their farm stocks...aphids.
tongue.png

July 10, 2016

July 17, 2016

Gonna have a smashing good potato harvest...plants are huge...so long as we don't get hailed on...

One of two tater patches

The rain with sunshine every dang day, has been pretty predictable. More like June than July and it is near over now...hee hee...weird year...kinda.

Iris in the fish pond

One positive to all the rain...

Yup, that be PURPLE peakers, eh!

Lookin like we might actually get the crowns of the purple asparagus to LIVE....
celebrate.gif

July 7 - hair sheep under beach umbrellas...intense heat and then...then RAIN deluges

Now admittedly we have had sunshine...no shortage of that but it does have me watching the skies to put everyone I have out, inside...in case the sky is falling!!!
barnie.gif

SHEEP TV - but at the BEACH
lau.gif

I know it is summer because there is grass and it needs mowing... no snow yet, that needs moving...

Hodge podge mix of the mowers...inside and out in the ditch with elenetting
Know it is summer because I dun learned a new thing (old female dog too)...how to clip (not shear, clip).
yesss.gif

Lil ditto (Katahdin/dorper cross hair ewe)...gettin' a clipping

Ditto and Decor clipped clean...COLOURFUL Dorper/Katahdin cross ewes

Even got brassin enough to clip the new ram...nope, not show good clipped but hey, old lady and it took moi three hours from start to clean up...done good I figure...

This be Boss Man - reg Dorper ram (Australian genetics...top and bottom of ped & unrelated to me ewes!)

So if'n all goes as planned, this clipping thung I done learned will be what I am doing, multifold times...with expectations of bouncy hair sheeps lambed out in the spring. Baa, eh.

Summer dog bus...

Oh yeh, and it is summer time because we are doing tons of loser lap cruisins...drove THREE units last weekend and the girl dogs and us had ice cream... sweet!
wee.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

One thing I like to make that's similar is to take fruits or berries and put them in a pan, and add some sugar as needed (depending on how sour the fruit you're using is). Then I take about 2 cups of oat meal, maybe a stick of butter, a cup of sugar, some salt, a couple table spoons of wheat flour, and some cinnamon and cardamon to taste. Put it all in a frying pan and on high heat I start tumbling it all about until the butter has melted and the sugar starts to get some color. Then I dump the mixture on top of the fruit and throw the whole thing in the oven until it gets a nice golden brown color. Super yummy with vanilla ice cream.

Oh, and Hi everyone! Long time, no see. I see I just missed Deb. How's everyone else, Sam is that kid of yours talking and walking already?

I've got buttloads of pumpkin coming this year, tomatoes are starting to look ok, we tried our first one yesterday. And looks like I*m gonna get some eggplant too. Beans are flowering at the moment, and planting mint in front of the chicken run was the best idea ever.

What you described V is a Crisp. Yes, Crisps are also wonderful, and cobbler like in a way. Of course down south a crisp MUST be made with brown sugar for the oatmeal top.

HA! as to my snow. Last winter was of course all kinds of dark, but it wasn't a true winter. It was all kinds of warm, only tiny bits of snow and no plowing at all. So of course there is no snow anywhere at this point.

It is funny listening to people on the Facebook Alaska Flock Talk, saying how brilliant they are with their chicken winter keeping.
roll.png
The other old-timers and myself just keep rolling our eyes and trying to explain that that wasn't really winter. I even took off my socks a time or two!

I have been decimated chicken wise. In my veggie garden table coop... with nice stout wire mesh fence, wood rail on top to keep it stiff, entire top covered in net except a little by the gate so we can get in and out... and it was solid overgrown weeds... I lost about 26 grow=outs before I noticed (I thought they were hiding in the weeds). That included maybe 15 quality black Ameraucanas and ... well whatever... it was sad. I am not positive what ate them, but I would guess a wise great horned owl was smart enough to crawl in and out of the hole and carted off a few every night until I wondered why the feed was being eaten so slowly.
roll.png
No feathers, no blood, no mess... but they were all just half grown, so easy to carry off.

Then three days after that a weasel squeezed into my pond coop (at first I thought the owl had done it... until I really looked, I was too upset to look well at first) and it killed our only quality capable broody, highly beloved chicken and her 4 chicks. The night after that it made it into my bantam coop and took out ALL of my breeders of my bantam Wheaten Ameraucana (excellent specimens), as well as the 4 year old pets.

The massacre happened right after I gad gotten rid of all extra males... I got a hold of the guy to see if I could get one back... an hour after he had butchered them.

However, it turns out that earlier this spring the pair of chicks that I had given a friend... were still alive, and an actual pair...and she just gave them back to me. So, I have ONE male, and a few grow-out girls... and can rebuild.

Roller coaster of horror....

The kids caught the weasel...

Alaskan, I think I was wrong. My Cuckoo Marans do have brown in them. That's not a good thing is it?

In better news, my Speckled Sussex pullets are doing awesome, :D

yeah, not a good thing. Cuckoo is supposed to be just black and white (or charcoal and gray), but no browns/red. No biggie if you just want eggs.

Tara, awesome about your asparagus. I would have thought that all of the rain might have made them rot...glad they are doing well. After trying for years (my kids actually like asparagus) I finally gave up.

Well, I have 2 Cuckoo Marans roosters. They are not going to lay eggs. Lol! Good news is I still can breed them with my Easter Eggers & Olive Eggers:D

FELIX.... woo hoo. thought it was going to be gone seven days and they turned it around in 24 hours. Pop in more often if you can...

deb

Al, sorry about the carnage =/ Hope you've plugged the hole for good.

JWB, nice looking SS:s =)

Hey Debs, nice to see you got your puter back quickly. Yeah, I'll try to pop in a bit more often, but work has been keeping me busy. That, and playing Pokemon. :p

Al, sorry about the carnage =/ Hope you've plugged the hole for good.

JWB, nice looking SS:s =)

Hey Debs, nice to see you got your puter back quickly. Yeah, I'll try to pop in a bit more often, but work has been keeping me busy. That, and playing Pokemon. :p
th.gif
you play huh? do me a favor and don't fall off a cliff....I like you.

Weasels and stoats can get in a hole the size of a quarter.
barnie.gif

I am keeping the traps baited with chicken heads for one more week... then I will buy hardware cloth
he.gif
and my lovely free coop will probably become a $1000 coop!!!!!

And just now I heard coyote howls! sheesh! everyone should be buttoned up well enough (I have three that I bring into the house every night, one of those is my only bantam wheaten ameraucana), but with my luck they will probably bash their way in somewhere -sigh-

Back
Top Bottom