Dixie Rainbows Thread

Pics

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
I thought I would start this thread to log the progress of my Dixie Rainbow flock. I was turned on them by Mt. Healthy Hatchery, who I ordered my 9 girls and 1 boy who arrived today! I inquired about the breed and this is what they sent me on them:

The Dixie rainbow originated from years of mixing several breeds but the breeding now is a rainbow to rainbow , they are good to moderate layers app 280 to 300 per year, they are average growing birds and will start to lay app 20 to 22 weeks, the hens will reach app 7 lbs, the egg color is brown and the chicks are very cold hardy birds.

I really like variety in a flock, that is why I also have a flock of Easter Eggers. I wanted a chicken that would breed true so I could keep sustaining my flock, but also something that was different. I am using them as a egg laying flock, but down the road when I decide to start breeding them they will become more of a dual purpose flock. I am really excited about this adventure and thought I'd share it with all of you. And if anyone else has Dixie Rainbows, please post away
woot.gif

And now a pic of my new flock! They are all very large chicks compared to other breeds that I have gotten, about the size of Easter Eggers. They are very robust and straight away they ate and drank when I put them in their brooder. Very curious what colors they will turn out to be, no two are alike.

My future rooster

Settling in with their Easter Egger friends

Don't have any yet but sure am thinking about getting me some. I just got to make another pen or get rid of something else, and don't want to do that.

These guys are now two weeks old and growing like weeds! They are going to be big birds, especially the rooster which I have named "Foghorn". I have noticed that they seem to be a bit lazy too, always lying around the brooder.
lau.gif
Here is an updated picture of Foghorn and how he has grown!

Here he is compared to one of my Easter Eggers to get an idea of how big he really is!

Do you know those are meat birds? They are the same as freedom rangers, they just can't call them that. They are a slower grower then CX's. They reach market weight at 12 weeks. Looks like you are going to have some good eats. Yum Yum
Michele

Do you know those are meat birds? They are the same as freedom rangers, they just can't call them that. They are a slower grower then CX's. They reach market weight at 12 weeks. Looks like you are going to have some good eats. Yum Yum
Michele

I was told my Mt. Healthy that they have been working on them as a dual purpose bird. The hens should lay really well while the roosters should be some good eats. If not then I guess I'll have a lot of chicken dinners
tongue.png

On their web page the say they reach market weight in 12 weeks. I bet they started pooping real good now huh? They taste really good and will forage excellent if aloud, if you don't they will eat a lot. Mine weighed 8 lbs for roosters and 6-7 lbs for the girls at 12 weeks. Yummy

On their web page the say they reach market weight in 12 weeks. I bet they started pooping real good now huh? They taste really good and will forage excellent if aloud, if you don't they will eat a lot. Mine weighed 8 lbs for roosters and 6-7 lbs for the girls at 12 weeks. Yummy

I'm finding that they eat and poop the same as my Easter Egger chicks, they are just more laid back. I wanted to try something different and Mt. Healthy recommended these to me. I have been very please with my Easter Eggers from them last year, they have layed all winter! I can't wait to see how this breed unfolds for me, I have 1 Rooster and 9 Hens to be. I'll try to keep this updated as they grow and mature.

I have a Dixie Rainbow that I am concerned might be a rooster. Pecking a lot and has tail feathers. Would love a picture of a full grown rooster to compare.

Back
Top Bottom