DIY CABINET COOLER INCUBATOR How we did it and TEST RUN Ready Set GO!

Now as for the chickens, that is more my project than hers. But for all other things.......the "gotcha" starts out with her telling me she doesn't think I can do it!

That's how he is too. But as for me, idk how to use any of these tools or anything. Lol So, I always worry that I'll mess it up and waste materials. The chickens are mine really, and my responsibility, but he has been great helping (actually me helping him) building coops and such.

There are four FAVs out and pips in others, and one CCL has a pip.
bun.gif

Incubator Made!

Ok, so, I followed Your directions found here at BYC under the article "Incubator Incubator"
and knocked out my first cooler-Incubator last weekend. yeah!

First I located and dragged out a "big Honkin" forgotton 50 gallon incubator from under my house.
It was GROSS so cleaned it up with Bleach and even some acitone!

Roughly following this scematic, which I found under the same article,
I tossed in some water bottles for heat banks and meassuered out the screen to fit on top of them.

The tray is tossed in for spacing and will act as a humidity tray.
(I used a flat tray because Humidity comes from the amount of space the water is spread across not the depth of the water)
I then rigged up a tube and surrenge to fill and empty this tray without needing to open the cooler.

next I had to cut the egg turner to fit into the cooler.

Notice that I have the room to fit in 2 of these turners!
(which I will do as soon as I can spare the $50.)

for now I centered the one I have.

Marking with tape how high up the inside of the cooler all this stuff is,
I emptied it, and started making the cuts and vent holes.
Here is my window cut.

A big veiwing window is a beautiful thing...

Next, I added in the fan!

I used an un-used extra pancake fan I had laying around from my wind turbine project.
notice it is stood off with long screws from the wall and the two vent holes on both sides of the fan.

I also used an old inverter plug I found in a box of plugs I have saved for over 15 years
as all my electronics broke...

I also found some old Thermometers...
one of them has a probe I can stick inside a "water wiggler "to measure the heat inside my eggs.

Finally, it took 10 hours, but here it is done!
(Im still waiting on my digital thermostat to arrive from Amazon)
but my circuit is already set up to just plug my thermostat into the system and I will be up and running!

BUMMER!

My present problem is this:
It turns out my digital Thermostat (which YOU suggested I buy) is being mailed from China and wont arrive for another MONTH! (evidently it is being delivered via rickshaw)

I am bound by agreement to pick up "random breed hatching eggs" in 3 days from the local bird farm!

I have an old "Little Giant" still air incubator that I planned to use for the final days of hatching.

It looks like this:

I was thinking about removing the thermostat from it and installing it into my cooler-bator.
(All I should need is one drill hole for the adjuster rod and maybe some screws or even duct tape)

I figure I can use this, at least until my digital one is delivered next month.
Then I can reinstall it back into the old incubator for hatching.

Oooooh SNAP!

Looky what I found!
check out the answer found in this video!

Fast forward to 5:01 minutes!

Wow! I'm much slower this week than usual. Something JUST dawned in me!

Where do u put water in this bator???
I have a flat type rubbermaid dish with a big fat sponge I set in front of the lights on the top shelf, I thought I added an image? I am however running dry in this as I have issues with weight loss in our area, its giving me much better weight loss and producing nice chicks FINALLY! I did add water for the a day or two when I started using it, but it was too much so new game plan as nature throws I adapt!

Quote: I have a ton of chicks I just put in the brooder and 17pips to go I think!!

Well done @Steadfast !! let us know how that thermostat works out please!! Remember as with any incubator to rotate eggs throughout hatch, and @ozexpat always suggests, leave the slot empty next to that little turner motor as it does add heat.

I was at the end of the WADI RUN in Petra Jordan...
about 50 miles east of Jerusalem...

The Wailing Wall: thats me on the right.

Me Blowing a Shoffar on top of the place of the last supper,
which is on top of David's Tomb
which is on top of the highest point of MT. ZION !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom