DIY CABINET COOLER INCUBATOR How we did it and TEST RUN Ready Set GO!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012

2. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    DID I MENTION I LOVE THIS CABINET COOLER AND MY REG COOLERBATORS

WELL I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is only HALF of them!!

Moved some chicks to the brooder, ALL are BS FAVS so far and one CCL male it
    They were filling up the coolerbator and I think we have about 15 more or so to go!
    so they can breath now ha ha ha
    all eggs have pipped or hatch except three, one brahma and two CCL are not pipped : (
    I cannot complain, thats alot of chicks!

[​IMG]

and of course pit stop at the counter top! Photo shoot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012
    Sally they are so cute!

5. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    The word "Awesome" is so overused these days that it has lost almost all it's meaning...

But yes, in this case the word "AWESOME" fully applied to this expedition in all its meanings and nuances.
    It was a profound experience with moments which human words cannot even hope to touch.

Sure, we all have fleeting amazing moments,
    but I have never felt consistantly alive, before or since, like i did during those 10 days...

I dont think I will ever be the same after that... Ever!
    and that journey was over 5 years ago...

Yes... it was Awesome...

---------------------

Now back to the chickens!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  6. IncubatorWarehouse.com

IncubatorWarehouse.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Fruitland, ID
    WOW great build! I love it!

1 person likes this.
  7. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    You mentioned that the trays didn't fit all your eggs, some too large and some too small. How much of a problem has that been and did you consider getting different tray sizes for the next incubator?

I just ordered 6 of those exact trays and some of the eggs I am setting are quite large (over 70 grams). I'm wondering if I'll need to keep one of my older trays in the incubator to handle the really large eggs.

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Thanks! they are sweet, now to choose two out of that lot will be tough but the rest have to go!

Thanks Steve! [​IMG]

I am too cheap to purchase more right now, with my first order of those white trays for $22. there were a total of 7 as they added a free one, so I have enough for another bator. I should have chosen the name Cheap Sal instead of Sally Sunshine[​IMG] I will need to get a small one for serama, those are a pain to turn but chad brought the rest of the turner trays so I have a mix, maybe I will put a turner in a regular coolerbator for them. Its my CCL eggs that leave me a problem, they are the largest and they lonw and are wide enough that really cant force them into those little tabs in the egg tray, I have already punctured a ccl and had to toss it trying to do this. but it seems to be the two older hens eggs, so I am assuming the rest will catch up in due time, for now I keep them in the middle if the tray and keep other big eggs around them so they dont fall out on turning.

I will make the alum holders sooner or later, it would be easier to candle and such. But I achieved what I needed to for the time being, I am getting orders out!

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Sep 27, 2012
    Yeah. I know what you mean.

10. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    It worked!
    I just installed the "Little Giant" thermostat by drilling a hole for the knob and for the red light and 3 more for each wire lead. I then had to tape it because the screws were too short for the cooler wall.
    [​IMG]

Here are the 3 wire leads which I hooked up.
    Black to incoming black
    Red to out going black
    White to white
    [​IMG]

Next I used a screw driver to begin adjusting the heat.
    [​IMG]

Look at the cool red light! It's working!
    [​IMG]

Things are heating up!
    [​IMG]

And the light shuts off at 99.5+
    [​IMG]

And then turns on at 99.5-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by