DIY CABINET COOLER INCUBATOR How we did it and TEST RUN Ready Set GO!

wholesale-Plastic-Milk-Bread-Box,-Grape-Basket_178637799452391474698034.3913298620130917.jpg

Sitting with a cup of coffee hmmmn that sounds like a good one!! as thats what I typically do while on byc!

So deb needs to make a "for those who tend to go off topic thread" cause I do that too
lau.gif
thats what keeps threads alive dontcha know that!

bun.gif
I agree wholeheartedly. Isn't that what conversation is all about... and without conversation, these threads to get stagnant, or die.
Nice looking basket. What are the dimensions, and where from? I have a dorm fridge and an STC1000 planning a build this winter... If energy allows. I was going to make a manual turner with a tray that slides on rails to roll the eggs. But, one of these would also work, if you handled gently and loaded enough eggs to allow an 180* turn when lifting one side.

I agree wholeheartedly. Isn't that what conversation is all about... and without conversation, these threads to get stagnant, or die.

Nice looking basket. What are the dimensions, and where from? I have a dorm fridge and an STC1000 planning a build this winter... If energy allows. I was going to make a manual turner with a tray that slides on rails to roll the eggs. But, one of these would also work, if you handled gently and loaded enough eggs to allow an 180* turn when lifting one side.

this is just a misc milk crate, you will have to do a image search of milk crates and find one with dimensions to fit what you need and or close enough and if you have to just add wooden slide bars to the inside to make up for the difference

Last edited:
oh and I think this one was 16x22x7 when we looked but it was over seas
he.gif
and
I would have to measure what our inside detentions are, heck I dont even remember! its been so long!

Last edited:
 it was our intention to build another incubator and then one single hatcher exactly like this one but with open aired baskets for hatching, but I had gotten ill and never got that far unfortunately.

so I just used my regular coolerbator for hatching since I just stagger in the big incu now anyways.

If I ever make one I will post a link and add it to this post. Its pretty easy to see how it would be done though, the basket trays would slip right into those slots in the sides of the cooler, whats cool about coolers is how easily they clean.

I think what you've done is very cool.
I've been thinking of building a cabinet incubator. .maybe this winter. And I came across your thread.
I think what I'd like to do is build from scratch. Since I have a wood working shop anyways. I generally build cedar beehives and sell them.

I have a pallet of ridgid foam that is hard plastic skinned. Similarly like a cooler and could be washed easy. But alot thicker 1 3/4 thick.
I'm still in planning stages..
Reason I asked about hatcher is that if it's best there seperate do to the needed extra humidity. It will jump cost for second thermostat and heat. We'll basically everything.

Your right about stagered hatches..
I could make a enclosed incubator 3 sets of racks. .and a hatcher on top with viewing windows. Thats seperate but mounted on top..Enough room for 1 batch per week.

I think what you've done is very cool.
I've been thinking of building a cabinet incubator. .maybe this winter. And I came across your thread.
I think what I'd like to do is build from scratch. Since I have a wood working shop anyways. I generally build cedar beehives and sell them.

I have a pallet of ridgid foam that is hard plastic skinned. Similarly like a cooler and could be washed easy. But alot thicker 1 3/4 thick.
I'm still in planning stages..
Reason I asked about hatcher is that if it's best there seperate do to the needed extra humidity. It will jump cost for second thermostat and heat. We'll basically everything.
awesome to have that foam! please share what you do with us! That foam is going to be amazing to use! what are you think for a thermostat? I honestly would separate for a hatcher, but that's me, I have never had a true cabinet that does both, but common sense tells me to separate
wink.png
after all the chicks I have hatched in all the different bators I have used.

Your right about stagered hatches..
I could make a enclosed incubator 3 sets of racks. .and a hatcher on top with viewing windows. Thats seperate but mounted on top..Enough room for 1 batch per week.

yup, more plexi for the hatcher for viewing. and open trays to let the heat air and humidity to flow freely

I forgot to WELCOME you to BYC too! so HELLO and welcome!
frow.gif
what are you incubating in such numbers?

I forgot to WELCOME you to BYC too!  so HELLO and welcome! :frow   what are you incubating in such numbers?

Thank you for the welcome.
Mainly I just want a upgrade. .my current incubator is a farm inovater with fan and turner. And they work but I think there made up of cheap components. The temp guage has never worked so I use seperate ones. The fan makes noise so I oil it with a q tip dabbed with vegatble oil.which helps alot.
And it's not that old. Instead of buying a new one.. makes more since buying better components and build a nicer one.
My brother has over 100 chickens and borrows my incubator. My mother in law too.. I hatch my own here. Just gave away all my older layers. Going to start off new in spring with the chicks I hatched last month.
I guess I just want a better one.. having 3 racks would be nice. My brother when he wants some more chicks. He can just bring me eggs and I can set his on his own rack.

Sally I got half way through the thread all i can say is
th.gif

and ask a couple of questions

Why did you use all thread for the cross bars? and not rod.

Why the 45 degree angle for the turning of the trays?

For what its worth you could do some acme screw thread to affix your turing bar run it up through the top of the bater and never have to open the door to turn eggs. ust a crank on the top. It would hold your trays in position while you mess with them.....

acme screw thread and drive nut Yeah it doesnt look like a nut but it is and this is only an example for visualization the one below would be very expensive.

they even come in just a screw and nut very simple to use. too.

eventually you can attach a motor with couple of a limit switches that changes the polarity.

deb

Back
Top Bottom