****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
Mat,

I took some pictures so you can see our set up.

I wanted to try something like this, since I am in the process of building a chicken coop. Except I wanted to come from vertically from the outside, and then form a "J" on the inside and let it go horizontally along the wall on the inside with two inch cuts for their heads to fit in to feed. Essentially gravity fed with an end cap on each end. I thought about watering in a similar shaped PVC. I thought about nipples, and then cups. But, it occurs to me, why can't I set up the water in the same way as the feeder? Two inch holes for them to stick their beaks in as well. Any thoughts, critiques?

I don't think the water would stay clean that way, and it couldn't be filled up the vertical tube because it would overflow out the holes.

I do like the feeder though. How full can you make it without the feed coming out the bottom?

I don't think the water would stay clean that way, and it couldn't be filled up the vertical tube because it would overflow out the holes.

I do like the feeder though. How full can you make it without the feed coming out the bottom?

I borrowed the picture from the thread as an example. I am planning on using a threaded end cap on both ends. One, to keep the critters on the outside from getting in and on the inside for maintenance. As far as water overflowing, I have a gap between the studs and my cement floor, where I plan on putting in a gutter. If the water overflows, it would go outside the coop right into the run. I am just not excited about nipples and cubs, and the threading that goes into it. That is why I was curious if the same feed system could work for the water. However, the fundamental flaw I see with the idea of 2" holes for the water, would be if the water level became too low, they would not be able to get their beaks into the water level. But, then again, without testing a nipple system on a gravity fed system, I would not know what the water level in the PVC pipe would be either.

So, the water system is where I am the most perplexed.

The water will overflow out the 2" holes until the level is lower than the edge of the holes. There's really no point filling it because it will keep flowing out.
I have a 55 gal. barrel going into a hose and then a 1.5" PVC pipe with capped ends and vertical nipples. Works great, but they do splash a fair amount when pecking the steel pins.
I bought some horizontal nipples and will build a new system with a bird bath heater to keep the water from freezing.

The water will overflow out the 2" holes until the level is lower than the edge of the holes. There's really no point filling it because it will keep flowing out.
I have a 55 gal. barrel going into a hose and then a 1.5" PVC pipe with capped ends and vertical nipples. Works great, but they do splash a fair amount when pecking the steel pins.
I bought some horizontal nipples and will build a new system with a bird bath heater to keep the water from freezing.

How do you deal with the pressure of a 55 gallon barrel not pushing out the nipples?

The nipples come with instructions. I think 11/32"?
They screw in, no need to tap threads, but you do have to push in while turning them with the wrench.

Back
Top Bottom