****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
I too decided a PVC feeder would be better than the Little Giant I was using.
Used the 3" PVC drain pipe and end cap. The elbow and adapter are rain gutter parts, the straps are for electric conduit.
Used my jigsaw to cut the trough opening. Clamped the base to a piece of 2 X 6 board.
The cost was about $15.00 from HD.
Started out with the mash, too much waste, went to the pellets, much better.

I too decided a PVC feeder would be better than the Little Giant I was using.
Used the 3" PVC drain pipe and end cap. The elbow and adapter are rain gutter parts, the straps are for electric conduit.
Used my jigsaw to cut the trough opening. Clamped the base to a piece of 2 X 6 board.
The cost was about $15.00 from HD.
Started out with the mash, too much waste, went to the pellets, much better.

Very great looking feeder:)

You may want to bring it up to neck level so they don't end up pooping in the trough. The way it is now your chickens can poop in it from the ground and from the step up. Also, I don't know if there is a roof in your coop but if there is not you should have and end cap on the top so no rain mist gets on there feed:(

I made one too! a while ago when I made my new chicken house. I have mine on the inside as I didn't want to hunt for a rubber gasket to go around where the pipe would enter the coop.

I went to habitat for Humanity and bought tons of good solid PVC pipe, to make a range of things. each 10' length cost $2.00. The elbows were .50 cents each and caps etc were the same. I cut an oval out of the Feeder piece of plastic ( Where the hens would eat from) using the jigsaw.... It works great - although I think my hens over feed themselves. They are not fat - but we have an abundance of food in our property, between open pastures and treed areas etc. They can go through a bag in 2-3 days (17 hens)
They free range form morning to dark when they put themselves to bed and I close up the door later after doing a head count.

They love it - we love it and it is easy. Mine is also not glued - I may want to change it into something else one day. :)

Stef
highfive.gif

I made one too! a while ago when I made my new chicken house. I have mine on the inside as I didn't want to hunt for a rubber gasket to go around where the pipe would enter the coop.

I went to habitat for Humanity and bought tons of good solid PVC pipe, to make a range of things. each 10' length cost $2.00. The elbows were .50 cents each and caps etc were the same. I cut an oval out of the Feeder piece of plastic ( Where the hens would eat from) using the jigsaw.... It works great - although I think my hens over feed themselves. They are not fat - but we have an abundance of food in our property, between open pastures and treed areas etc. They can go through a bag in 2-3 days (17 hens)
They free range form morning to dark when they put themselves to bed and I close up the door later after doing a head count.

They love it - we love it and it is easy. Mine is also not glued - I may want to change it into something else one day. :)

Stef
highfive.gif

Nice:) Ya, no real need to glue.

Thanks for the suggestions. So far have not had a problem with them pooping in the trough. I could turn it around and get it away from the ramp if need be. With only four girls they are not crowded. The coop is covered so the rain won't be a problem.

This is the one I made today. I hope that it works good. I was just sitting around thinking and figured this would work since I had the stuff laying around.

It looks like it will work but you may have a problem with your chickens pooping in it and i'm not to sure how it will stand when full of feed. You could put something down the middle of it and maybe add some sort of lid to it with holes big enough just for there heads to get through. They may waste lots of feed with this one:(

It looks like it will work but you may have a problem with your chickens pooping in it and i'm not to sure how it will stand when full of feed. You could put something down the middle of it and maybe add some sort of lid to it with holes big enough just for there heads to get through. They may waste lots of feed with this one:(
Yeah you was right. I guess we live and learn. It keeps wanting to fall over so I put it in a corner. But I do like the idea on this post!

Yeah you was right. I guess we live and learn. It keeps wanting to fall over so I put it in a corner. But I do like the idea on this post!

Sorry I was right:( I still think it's a good one you just need to tweak it a little!

Back
Top Bottom