****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

i liked the pvc pipe ideas and if the future get more chickens will add one to the top of this feeder to expand capacity but as is hold a good 25lbs plus food. I found this online and can say it is remarkable it saves you in food cost for all the food stays in the feeder if not in the chickens - no mess = less mice less wasted food = more $$ stays in the pocket. I have also found that our littlest chicken (an Iowa Blue) used to get pushed out of the way when she tried to eat even though there was many open feeding holes (the typical baby chick quart size feeders) where as with the new feeder her head is well inside the feeder and gets to eat with interruption.

I'd have to say, the thing I like BEST about my pipe feeder, is that I can fill it and have them eat for 2 weeks without worrying. I had hand surgery at the later part of March, and filling the feeder last week was NOT EASY, and it hurt. But that was the first time I filled it since before, because I'd been broadcasting scoops every day. I got tired of that and filled the thing, and it's just magic...

filling the PVC pipes was honestly one of my concerns, trying to our from a large bag into a 4" or so hole, where as with the 5gallon bucket you take off lid pour the food in and close the lid. i have a 40lb bag of organic feed and it took 2/3 or so of the bag so it does last

filling the PVC pipes was honestly one of my concerns, trying to our from a large bag into a 4" or so hole, where as with the 5gallon bucket you take off lid pour the food in and close the lid. i have a 40lb bag of organic feed and it took 2/3 or so of the bag so it does last

I cut the bottom off a 1/2 gal milk jug to make a scoop.

how much food do they hold? also does it spill out when the chickens eat? this is a big concern for here in the mountains we have enough mice as it is?

the pvc pipe feeders, i am trying to sell ya'll on the 5gallon feeder but after looking at some of the pvc feeders honestly i think i am going to integrate the two and attach a 6" pvc to the top f the bucket when i expand my chicken count. however i am completely sold on using the bucket for their feeder for it keeps all the food in the feeder and off the ground so saves ya money!

the pvc pipe feeders, i am trying to sell ya'll on the 5gallon feeder but after looking at some of the pvc feeders honestly i think i am going to integrate the two and attach a 6" pvc to the top f the bucket when i expand my chicken count. however i am completely sold on using the bucket for their feeder for it keeps all the food in the feeder and off the ground so saves ya money!

Depends on how big you make it. Mine is 5 tubes going into one and holds about 60 lbs.

how many chickens do you have? i spent half my childhood on a dairy-farm in N Wisconsin. One of many chores was taking care of the chickens about 50 or so, but that was a lifetime ago and whole different setup. We just built our coop this winter and recently moved our 5 chicks out there. We plan on expanding at some point but starting small. I like the idea of the multipvc when i get more chickens it would be overkill at this point lol

Back
Top Bottom