DIY Composting

when i had limited space and needed a container, liked the smith & hawken biostack. they are ~3'x3'x3'. when the pile is in need of turning, the top tier can be removed, and the pile turned into that. then the second ect ect. no knocking knuckles on the sides trying to get everything out from the bin.

the county i lived in offered them cheaply to residents, even though i never got one officially, i often found them for free/cheap on CL or the curb. which i why is started using them.

I'm not sure how it would relate to the composting, but I used an oldschool trick for ants and it worked for me. Get a bag of cornmeal and go out and sprinkle it directly in your anthills and around them. I sprinkled mine pretty thickly, but it was still just a "sprinkle". Give it a couple of days to work, but after a few days you'll stop seeing the little #%&***^$s crawling around. At first I didn't think it was working, so I walked away swearing. Then I went out a couple of weeks later, and all the anthills where I had put the cornmeal were totally clear of crawling ants. Next spring, I'm going to be on those things as soon as I see their hills start forming.

Thanks they have gotten pretty bad for the chick feed that drops on the ground under my babies pen:/ and are looking like they are bedding in the pile I just started a few days ago:/

Last edited:
Well make sure the chickens don't get in there and eat it all up. They'll go crazy over it.

Sorry I'm just getting this, these are little tiny ones that sting:/ they won't eat them but they did eat a few big ants that looked like the little ones except huge! And they love them field crickets, that's how I got them to come up to me I try to bring them as often I as I can so they stay liking me haha.

Back
Top Bottom