DIY Composting

acemario

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Northern Utah
I'm still trying to get an idea of how to compost using limited space and time. Any ideas? Pictures would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Take your kitchen waste like veg peels and garden waste, like fallen leaves etc, put it in a container, like a big plastic tub, throw in some earth worms, keep it moist. Keep topping it up with fresh waste and the worms will make you the most beautiful compost.
I've heard of people round here paying a lot of money for "worm compost".

This is a great idea! Currently I have some chicken wire that is in a circle and on dirt. However it does not make for the easiest way to turn it as I have to undo the whole thing. Add to that the goat poop, I was really hopeing for a way to manage the manure of chicken and rabbit and goat. I think I will send the kiddos out to collect some earth worms for it!

I was planning on using a trash can with lid. get 4x4s and brace to the bottom. punch holes along the bottom, top, and sides for some ventilation. When needing to turn the compost, simply place the can on it's side (make sure lid is secure, no messes needed) and rotate it a few times. :) Still have to do this...it is on my list. lol

Take your kitchen waste like veg peels and garden waste, like fallen leaves etc, put it in a container, like a big plastic tub, throw in some earth worms, keep it moist. Keep topping it up with fresh waste and the worms will make you the most beautiful compost.
I've heard of people round here paying a lot of money for "worm compost".

Do you still need to turn it if you have earthworms in it? Also, do you keep a top on it that seals? Or does it need ventilation?

You'll still need to turn it regularly. Unless it rains LOTS, you won't need a cover. To make things a bit easier at "harvest" time you can replace the bottom of the container with a sieve. Then once a week or so you shake the container a bit. The worm castings will get sifted out.
Ventilation is VERY important. Compost heaps get hot with all the decomposing going on in there and I've heard of compost heaps catching fire! So make sure you got plenty air holes.

You'll still need to turn it regularly. Unless it rains LOTS, you won't need a cover. To make things a bit easier at "harvest" time you can replace the bottom of the container with a sieve. Then once a week or so you shake the container a bit. The worm castings will get sifted out.
Ventilation is VERY important. Compost heaps get hot with all the decomposing going on in there and I've heard of compost heaps catching fire! So make sure you got plenty air holes.

What do you make your sieve with?

Diamond mesh. Should be reasonably fine. Ask your local hardware, they'll probably cut it to size for you too. I'll see if I can find some pics.

Will a compost bin out of pallets work ok? I just made one out of pallets that has 3 sides, no bottom, no top, and no front. Will this do the trick?

That'll work, but you'll have to turn it now and then to get air in there.
We usually pile up our garden waste, layer it with chicken and cow poop in-between the weeds etc, throw some soil in occasionally until it's about 2-3 foot high and leave it to rot. If it's very hot here we water it now and then to keep it moist and prevent it from catching fire. (It happened to my DH once or twice!) Doesn't look very attractive though... But we live on a farm, so we can hide it and get away with it
tongue.png

You can also built a "cage" with mesh and fill it with composting stuff. It keeps things tidy and it works very well as you get plenty air flow.
Don't put large amounts of grass clippings in there. It forms a mass that doesn't let air in and it has some other effect... Blast, I can't think of that word now! It'll come to me... but it's not good.

Back
Top Bottom