DIY Duck Feed vs DIY Chicken Feed

Do a search not using the super popular engine that too many people use, or maybe search Weston Price or EWG.

I was hoping for a link to a specific study or paper or article.

At risk of sounding ignorant, I don't even know what other search engines exist, and I sometimes find it hard to sort through information to find the ones that someone else thought were good sources.

I have found various research papers talking about how much tryptophan chickens need, and symptoms of deficiency. So I would expect most chicken feeds to be formulated with an adequate amount, regardless of whether the specific grains have enough or not. (Edit to add: but since this thread is focused on making feed, not just buying a commercial feed, I agree it is something to at least check.)

An example of such an article:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jpn.13515
(This talks about the importance of tryptophan for chickens. It also refers to many other articles and studies about chickens' need for tryptophan. I am using it as an example of research on chickens and tryptophan, not evidence of anything about Glyphosate.)

Last edited:
Chickens need VERY little tryptophan - 0.2% of the total diet

Study Jump to figure 2.

1685487355452.png

The effects of glyphosate on the abundance of leaf amino acids in glyphosate-sensitive (PAN) and glyphosate-resistant (RRS) soybean genotypes, 5 d after spraying. Black bars, controls; gray bars, glyphosate treated. FW, Fresh weight; g-ABA, γ-aminobutyric acid.

Note that treatment with glyphosate actually INCREASE Lysine and Methionine levels, in both the Sensative control soybean and the glyphosate resistant (Roundup Ready) soy beans, and the Tryp levels, low as they are, appear above the 0.2 threshold.

Above adequate levels of Tryp are found in all the animal/insect protein products, the common plant meals, the various seeds, millets, and beans. Brown RIce and Hard wheat generally have adequate levels of Tryp. Its only when you get into the rye, corn, qunoa, and red millet (the stuff your song birds pick out and throw at the ground) that you get to really low levels of Tryp.

and a MAJOR caveat. The study I just linked (and a few others, similar, which I've glanced at) may be completely inapplicable to chicken feed discussions.

Why???

Because they are looking at the amino acid changes in the LEAVES. We don't feed our chickens soy leaves, or corn leaves, or wheat leaves, or oat leaves. We feed seeds - beens -kernels - which should already be fully formed when the roundup is applied. None of these studies suggest such dynamic changes in the AA of the portion of the crop we make actual use of.

Do a search not using the super popular engine that too many people use, or maybe search Weston Price or EWG.
OK, I played the game.

Study linked above. Given that we don't use the leaves, the effect is rather small, and the part of the plant we do use has roughly 3x the needed amount of Tryp, on average, while there are positive increases in AAs which are harder to obtain in most feed ingredients, can you:

A] Link the studies you relied on for forming your conclusions
- or -
B] Explain why, in spite of the small (and in other ways, beneficial) effects in the linked study, we should still be concerned for its reputed negative effects on amino acid levels, particularly Tryp?

Whilke we are waiting, for the benefit of others (I'm waiting on pizza to come out of the oven, and chicks to hatch) -

More studies on Glyphosate and animals and plants and stuff (equally tangential to feeding chickens)

Nutsedge (no measurable effect on total amino acid levels, though many proteins had hydrolyzed, increasing free amino levels)

Young Pigs (FED glyphosate. No measurable effect. Admittedly not long term)

Danish Rat Study (they should have used more rats. No significant effect)

Sugarcane (effects heavily dependent on amount of glyphosate applied)

Yeah, I'm not finding what you were reading - perhaps you could link sources?

So I would expect most chicken feeds to be formulated with an adequate amount, regardless of whether the specific grains have enough or not.
An example of such an article:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jpn.13515
(This talks about the importance of tryptophan for chickens. It also refers to many other articles and studies about chickens' need for tryptophan. I am using it as an example of research on chickens and tryptophan, not evidence of anything about Glyphosate.)
I appreciate your sincerity.
Tryptophan is essential for humans too, however, we get into trouble when we make assumptions. This was a big game changer in how I looked at commercially prepared food.
https://www.foodrenegade.com/secret-ingredient-your-orange-juice/

Again, do your own research.
I don't care any more about your health than you do.
Search 'essential amino acid'
I did do my own research, linked above. Did not support your claims.

I understand the concept of essential amino acids - BYC is littered with my posts on the need for them in response to various "make at home" feed recipes, as even a trivial search will reveal.

Back
Top Bottom