DIY Fount Heater

AtholCoop

Songster
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
North Idaho
Since winter is approaching fast I needed to come up with somthing to keep the water supply from freezing.

I did some research and found something what would work with my metal founts

72291335hl2.jpg

But it was a little rich for my way of rasing chickens. So I built my own.

73595878rb4.jpg

I bought a 10' roll of 14" galvy flashing. I was shooting for something in the range of 12" plus a base because I wanted to keep my water at a height that helps keep it clean. I cut the flashing so that the outer tube would be 9 or so inches across with a good overlap for attachment and the inner tube would be right around 6 inches.

45729208wp4.jpg

I rolled both tubes to the correct size and taped them together.

31044756ux8.jpg

Six rivets per tube and things are starting to come together.

73435425rk2.jpg

I measured down from both ends 1 inch and cut the tabs. I only bent the tabs on one end of each tube for now.

73265072zg8.jpg

Both tubes nested together.

98839746on9.jpg

I cut two rings out of MDF and attached one to the bottom of both tubes. Here only the outer tube is attached.

88556560nr3.jpg

Next I built a base, mostly to give the wire to the fixture a way out. Never gonna see this as it's going to be buried in pine shavings anyway so nothing fancy.

33944318qh7.jpg

A little bit of the ol' pink panther between the tubes to help keep the heat going up instead of out.

15339577tw3.jpg

Bend the tabs at the top over and secure them to the second MDF ring.

10gp0.jpg

Next up a base for the the...um base. Yep nice and square, nothing but quality for my chickens.

11bv8.jpg

Base goes in the inner tube with the wire going through a hole in the bottom.

Badda bing badda boom. 15 bucks and a couple hours later...Done

Of course the only true test will come in about January when we go below zero, but I figure a 100 watt bulb will probably get the job done, and as a secondary benefit since my water is in the coop any residual heat will help keep my chickens toasty warm.

Great idea...thanks for the pics and directions too!!
I think i'll do that and experiment with adding a thermotate to it so that the bulb can come on& go off at intervals instead of remaining on all the time.

Quote:
Should work, but I don't know about plastic in close proximity to the light bulb. Once the fount is sitting on top the inside temps are probably going to get pretty warm.

I looked and looked for a metal bucket or tub that met my size requirements and struck out. If you could get away with a lower height I think two paint cans (1 gallon and 1 Quart) nested inside each other would probably work.

Quote:
I'm afraid 7.5 watts isn't gonna cut it when it's -10. Also I've got the metal vaccum type founts so getting it in the water would be a challenge to seal up.

You are probably right! I am thinking too local. The coldest we get is mid 20s and only at night for maybe 2 weeks. Works great for us here in the south though.

Update...

We've been experiencing day time highs in the single digits, and night time lows below zero. Happy to say the water is still liquid.

Chickens don't want ANYTHING to do with going outside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom