DIY Grit and Oyster shell Feeder- My first contribution

Did you use a dog house for your next boxes?
no that was a temporary medical wing. One of my hens was having a foot problem and i used that for her until she healed and could get back in the flock without being isolated. Now the roo sleeps in there sometimes with 4 other hens. Going to remove it in the spring. Going to remodel a bit.

Do you combine grit and oyster shells? Where do oyster shells come from and do I have to give both grit and shells along with their normal feed?
It would be wise to give both oyster shell and grit to your chickens. Grit is what they need to break up their food in their gizzard. Oyster shell is needed for calcium for good shell development. But be aware of the thickness of the eggs because u might have to back off the oyster shell for a bit. Your eggs may get a bit difficult to crack.

Oyster shells are just that shell of an oyster.

Last edited:
What I did was take a plastic coffee canister, the kind that most coffee comes in now with the built in handle, cut a hole (which took a little effort) big enough for them to feed out of near the bottom of the canister and mounted it in the coop with screws about 6 inches off the floor. Put the oyster shell in it, put the lid on it and had an easy way to keep it up off the ground, and it's super easy to pop the lid off and put more in. Weird tho, they don't get on top of it, which I'm happy about. Also, very easy to replace. After mounting it I thought I should have put washers in to prevent it from ripping through, but so far it is fine and has been in there for a few months.

OK , I'm gonna try to post a pic....

Please excuse all the dust. You'd think with all the feather dusters on their back ends it wouldn't be so dusty!!!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom