DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

Just a thought on the gas idea. Wouldn't the gas have some effect on the actual MEAT? I mean if the chicken has been breathing it for a few seconds, it would get into the blood stream wouldn't it?

Well from the methods I've read, cutting the throat (using a kill can) seems to be the least traumatic for the person doing it. No body running around, flapping wings, hitchcockish blood trails. The one consistent thing is make sure your knife/hatchet is SHARP. I've been looking for diagrams of the blood system for the chicken but haven't had much luck. If you could successfully locate the main arteries going to the brain give them a quick slice it'd be over relatively quick as the brain would lose blood almost immediately. Like many others here I've tried to think of a humane dignified way of ending their life but came up empty considering the possibility of meat contamination. Shocking in my opinion isn't a very good option either as that will cause the muscles to tighten up if even for only a brief moment. From the things I've read, you want the animal relaxed so that there is no adreneline running in the blood stream.

So on the day when we're ready to thin the stock I'll probably use the kill cone/knife method but with a twist. Most directions show the butcherer doing the work during the day. My thought (dunno if anybody has tried) but is to pick the chickens to be butchered at night while they're sleeping. No chasing them, getting them excited. Pull them right from the coop, in to the kill cone, put a small rag around their "face" and a quick slice. I'm thinking the best knife would be a fillettett knife used for filletting fish. These knives are capable of getting extremely sharp. The last thing you want to be doing is trying to saw the neck. You want it quick and easy.

My knowledge of the subject is only from research at this point. I advise anybody considering butchering their meat to read up first and review the anatomical drawings of these animals before you try it. Also, it'd probably be a good idea to do a test run on a sample bird; if you have one die of natural causes practice the process on the corpse.

Anytime you are using a gas to replace oxygen, you will basically be suffocating the animal. They will have a sensation of suffocating and they will panic and fight it. It's not pretty.

I have used both CO2 in a jar to knock out mice for metabolic experiments, and also I work at a vet where we regularly have to "box down" wild/fractious cats for procedures. In both cases, the animals flail and thrash and flop around for quite a while. It takes much longer than either beheading or slitting throat, and they are terrified the entire time. I imagine it would be similar for chickens.

As far as what time, we usually get them right before dawn, when they are sleepy and quiet. The one time we just got behind, and tried to do it at like 10am was much harder.

read it a book on something like accounting or give it a small tv and turn it on the HSN, it could die of boredom
lol.png

sorry, i dunno what to tell ya other than anything you do will be more humane than what they do in a chicken slaughterhouse anyway

Yeah, I think the most humane way is removal of the head. They don't even kill humans with electrocution because it doesn't always work... and you think they'd have figured it out for humans! As for gassing, yes, that will get into the meat. So I don't like that idea either. It takes time but you'll get it.

Hi Everyone! I am new and so glad I came upon this website. I have been wanting to raise some chicks for layers and meat but I have been agonizing about "the kill." I placed an order and will get them by the end of May so I hope to find a comfortable (as possible) way to process meat birds.

emsoffLambs: In my experience you are right on with your info about relaxing the chickens by hanging the (gently) upside down and tucking the head under the wing. I used to do it all the time just 'cause it was neat and they actually seemed to like it. Of course most of my hens would frequently come and sit on our laps! But I've seen it done with cocky cockerels too....
I saw an article about "hypnotizing" chickens which describes about the same thing. It is online.

They also discuss the "brain scramble" technique that is said to render the bird senseless instantly AND release the feathers. It is supposed to just go limp.
Anyone use this?

Years ago I raised meat birds and did use the nails-in-the-tree-stump method which was fine for chickens...but... we did a turkey once and the (headless) thing took off with me and beat me to death with his wings.

The gas method is really only giving them a harmless gas in place of oxygen so they are breathing but unaware that they are suffocating. It sounds good, but is it true??? When I read that I was excited but after seeing this forum I am not too sure of ANY method that would suit me.
thanks
smile.png

I love all types of animals and work with them daily at my home ranch as well as at work. I always look for the most appropriate and humane way to put any animal down when needed. The biggest problem for most people is to control their own emotions. I have put down hundreds of pet types, farm animals for meat and work, and wildlife at a University Pathology Dept. and at the ranch. Gassing isn't very pretty as the animal will fight as it seaks an escape route. Electrocution will stiffen the body and it will fall over and you can see the current travel between the two electrode connections ( you must hold down the button for at least a minute ) and will stop the heart in short order. The animal may revive and you have to start all over, but this time you are dealing with a panicked animal. A lethal chemical injection will make an animal fall asleep immediately. However if you don't give an overdose of the lethal chemical for that particular animal, you will have a very angry animal to fight to again give a lethat injection. The captive bolt pistol will stun the animal and render it unconcous and you must cut the jugulars to bleed it out. There will still be muscle contractions and sometimes gasping. Shooting with a gun, if you miss, well even a .22 bullet will travel a mile, and could kill someone. Even when it penetrates only into the animal's scull, you still will get the muscle twitching or if it doean't kill it instantly you will have a very panicked animal on your hands. My neighbor missed the mark on a hog with a bullet and we had to chase that very enraged hog for a half hour before we caught, then subduesd it with ropes and I slitt it's jugulars and decapitated it's head in just a couple seconds. I can do this extreamely fast as I did that deed quite often at work and at the ranch. The quickest and most humane way to butcher a bird is to chop it's head off with a sharp hand axe or cleaver. Death is sure and instant.

Thank You Bossroo, you are probably right that beheading is the sure thing. My worst fear is wounding an animal and not killing it right away. That is what bothers me about hunting. Obviously I do not object to eating animals--but suffering and fear I cannot deal with let alone inflict it.
I'm a nurse and I have had to "hurt" patients therapeutically in my work as one would expect. But even after years of injections I still have a tiny degree of discomfort when I stick someone with a needle.
I doubt that I could ever work in a burn unit.

I find the killing cone and a sharp knife to the throat is the most humane way to kill a chicken. the chickens are dead within 60 seconds, and I dont belive its painful at all.

There is no need to sever the head. Blood drains out and the bird is dead rather painlessly. Have you ever seen this? I dont even think the bird knows whats going on. The eyes close peacefully and I can rest happily knowing I did it with dignity and respect for the life of the bird.

I cant stand it when people axe a birds head off and let it flop and flail around on the ground. I raise my birds with care and respect, and I belive that it is my responsibility to take care of my birds right to the bitter end. I am satisfied that I do so.

I killed my first roo about a month ago using the pithing method then cutting the jugular. There was no flapping or jerking and I didn't eveh have to scald the bird. It plucked beautifully. The carcass was relaxed, not stiff at all. I cleaned him, wrapped him and put him in the fridge for a couple days. I slow roasted him and he was the best. I'm doing five more roos on Saturday and I'll use the same method. I found it doesn't work on ducks though.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom