DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

I think a lot of people who haven't had to kill animals conflate "humane" and "doesn't require me to be violent". Generally, the more violent the method is, the quicker it is, and thus the more humane. It's really people trying to get around their squeamishness.

I absolutely agree with the above poster. All of this "humane death" stuff is nothing more than people trying to cause a chicken to die in a way where they don't feel bad. Has not one thing to do with the chicken. Has everything to do with their own feelings.

People don't think it out really and just want to go with whatever doesn't make them feel bad.

The kindest, most humane death, is the hardest on the human doing it of all. I know. I do it. No same person enjoys this process. I can't imagine any sane person ever enjoying or looking forward to the death of any animal at all, ever. But if you have to do it, you do it. In the way that is best for that creature, not YOU.

You want to read about how "this way" and "that way" is so kind of the chicken. Bull. Research and look at it, and use your mind.

so... I know this argument occurred in 2013 but I would like to share personal insight to this situation

Quote:galanie

When I was in high school I decided to commit suicide. I used 16 gauge needles and a mirror to place them. I curled up in the bath tub and remember feeling tired, cold, a little nauseous, and felt some tingling in my extremities. Next thing I knew I was in a hospital. I had great aim.

The fact it was suicide is unimportant, I decided to give my experience with bleeding to death and the change in physiology I experienced.

Sooo... I didn't read all 73 pages, but seems to be consensus here is slitting/cutting/etc. My question is, has anyone considered a pellet gun? By pellet gun I mean an actual .177 air or spring gun, 700fps, etc, not a Red Ryder BB gun. The things are capable of killing coyotes, and are more than capable of instantly killing a gopher when popped in the head.

Obviously there are legal concerns, many places consider pellet guns as firearms and as such are subject to those regulations, not to mention will do a LOT of damage to your foot should you miss lol, BUT a quick shot to the head would be pretty much instant and painless... and probably messy...

But... seems to me it's more 'humane' than slitting their throats and letting them bleed out.

Might even look into firing a larger caliber blank against their head, then concussion from a blank can be very damaging.

Sooo... I didn't read all 73 pages, but seems to be consensus here is slitting/cutting/etc. My question is, has anyone considered a pellet gun? By pellet gun I mean an actual .177 air or spring gun, 700fps, etc, not a Red Ryder BB gun. The things are capable of killing coyotes, and are more than capable of instantly killing a gopher when popped in the head.

Obviously there are legal concerns, many places consider pellet guns as firearms and as such are subject to those regulations, not to mention will do a LOT of damage to your foot should you miss lol, BUT a quick shot to the head would be pretty much instant and painless... and probably messy...

But... seems to me it's more 'humane' than slitting their throats and letting them bleed out.

Might even look into firing a larger caliber blank against their head, then concussion from a blank can be very damaging.

A pellet that may or may not strike the brain / spinal cord. A pellet gun that shoots 700 FPS is not going to put down a coyote. There are Air Rifles that can put down larger animals but they don't shoot 700 FPS.

A blank shot against their head? Would you rather be concussed to death with a flashbang or have your head lopped off in one motion?

Not trying to be a jerk but you're throwing out some dubious ideas here and I'd hate for somebody to read this and thing that they could humanely dispatch a bird with a starter pistol.

WU

These pics of my Cornish rocks

For anyone looking to suffocate birds with gas, I'd suggest if you actually have an airtight container a cheaper method is to just rig up a small vacuum pump to pump the air out. A friend of mine put down his ancient and sickly cat in a bell jar by simply removing the air (I think he sedated it first with some tranquilizer) but the suffocating worked..

As a boy I used to work at a place that rehabilitated animals to release into the wild. Animals that were brought in that were beyond help were put down in a large trash barrel with CO2. I don't think they suffered any but they used to thrash around a bit and panic.

Yeah...smothering to death tends to make one panic and thrash around a bit. Don't see it as humane at all.

Mind you these were sick/injured wild animals, hawks, osprey, coons, possum, etc. and they would panic and thrash before you turned the gas on in the barrel.

As someone else mentioned, it's perhaps not so much "humane" as non-violent/bloody. Given the choice I'd take the guillotine or a bullet to the back of the head. When the time comes up here it'll be firing squad.

I can't believe people are still throwing around this awful slaughter by gassing idea years later. Didn't we (the byc community collectively and in particular those with ample slaughter experience, unlike those making the suggestions) put this to rest like 3 years ago? Do those that consider this ever stop to think that maybe there's a good reason WHY more people don't do it? And how in the world can one think this humane?

For gods sake just yank or cut the head off and be done with it! Anyone can do this: it's easy, requires no special equipment, causes no stress, results in virtually instant death, and yields excellent quality meat.

Sorry to be crotchety but some of this gassing stuff and other weird ideas strike me as kind of psychotic. And it makes me, one who has slaughtered hundreds of chickens, and who devotes himself to animal welfare daily, nauseated to imagine.

Back
Top Bottom