DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

Hear, hear!!!
thumbsup.gif

I hold my chicken for a while. I remind it it need not worry about where it's next meal is coming from (even though their crops are usually so loaded it's ridiculous) or what the hot rooster down the street thinks anymore because All Things No Longer Matter, little chicken. In my sweetest, sugariest voice.

Then I slip their head beneath a piece of allthread, quickly stomp on it and yank their feet back as hard as I can. Their heads pop off in one fluid motion and they choke for perhaps a split second. I throw their body in the grass to do the dance (and throw blood everywhere) and in the 2 seconds it takes for me to do that, the chicken's eyes are closed and it's gone bye bye. Quicker than an axe, quicker than a kill cone, and the dogs get something to roll in afterward. Works great.

I hold my chicken for a while. I remind it it need not worry about where it's next meal is coming from (even though their crops are usually so loaded it's ridiculous) or what the hot rooster down the street thinks anymore because All Things No Longer Matter, little chicken. In my sweetest, sugariest voice.

Then I slip their head beneath a piece of allthread, quickly stomp on it and yank their feet back as hard as I can. Their heads pop off in one fluid motion and they choke for perhaps a split second. I throw their body in the grass to do the dance (and throw blood everywhere) and in the 2 seconds it takes for me to do that, the chicken's eyes are closed and it's gone bye bye. Quicker than an axe, quicker than a kill cone, and the dogs get something to roll in afterward. Works great.

Good write-up.

I don't see it being quicker than a hatchet or an axe though.

If you want to do CO2, you can mix baking soda and vinegar to do it. CO2 is the most humane way to pre-kill feeder rats, which is the only reason I know about it. I know 30-40% CO2 is ideal for them, I don't know if it would be the same for chickens. But at that percentage, it literally just makes them fall asleep, then you add more and it'll kill them in their sleep. Less than that and they'll feel breathless, which is highly stressful. More and it causes a burning sensation in the eyes and throat.

I'm a fairly athletic 28 year old guy and have been a vegetarian for 10 years after seeing how commercial food animals are treated. I haven't experienced any issues with my health (in fact, my bloodwork is amazing), and I too am an animal lover; the type to relocate insects instead of squashing them.

I was raised on a ranch and have had to put suffering animals out of their misery, but it feels a bit different when you are doing it for them, versus doing it for yourself. I suppose its something everyone needs to consider individually and decide which lifestyle fits with their values. I emplore everyone to consider vegetarianism.

Shameless vegetarian plug aside, I am interested in this topic, because I would like to help ensure that any chickens that do get slaughtered, are suffering as little as possible. And though I'd love to see everyone go vegetarian, I know thats not going to happen -- so I commend all of you for at the very least, showing compassion even to animals raised for meat. Its a sad situation, but we can at least try to make it more humane.

As far as gas goes, I would have thought Carbon Monoxide (CO) to be the most effective -- hundreds of people die every year from accidentally inhaling too much CO, and they seem to do so completely unknowingly. There doesn't appear to be any biological alarm system in the human body that alerts us to high concentrations of CO... Carbon Dioxide (CO2), however, is a different story. It is my understanding that panic/anxiety attacks can be induced by elevating levels of CO2, at least in humans, and I believe I've seen studies done with rabbits as well?

Whether this works on birds the same as humans, I have no idea. A quick google search shows Carbon Monoxide (CO) has been used experimentally for commercial processing of pigs. An easy way to test it might be to create a cozy little chicken chamber with a hose running to the exhaust port of a generator. Some way to make it less noisy would be good, to keep the bird calm, but if the exhaust was used to fill the chamber with CO gas, it could work. You could make sure the chamber has a window so you can watch for signs of discomfort. Just make sure not to accidentally gas yourself -- do it in a very very well ventilated area -- never inside a shack or garage...

Thinking of what might be less dangerous, but still a gas; what about Chloroform?
It is a general anesthetic, and if you could render the chicken wholly unconscious, it could allow you to use any number of methods that are quick and painless while the bird is unconscious.

http://www.amazon.com/Trichloroethy...TF8&qid=1433573256&sr=8-1&keywords=chloroform

Not too expensive either -- it might be as simple as giving the bird a whiff from the open bottle and recapping it immediately. One bottle might last for years? Just trying to think outside the box for the OP. I admire your commitment to this, and I encourage you to keep looking for a better way -- that is how innovation occurs.

I'm a fairly athletic 28 year old guy and have been a vegetarian for 10 years after seeing how commercial food animals are treated. I haven't experienced any issues with my health (in fact, my bloodwork is amazing), and I too am an animal lover; the type to relocate insects instead of squashing them.

I was raised on a ranch and have had to put suffering animals out of their misery, but it feels a bit different when you are doing it for them, versus doing it for yourself. I suppose its something everyone needs to consider individually and decide which lifestyle fits with their values. I emplore everyone to consider vegetarianism.

Shameless vegetarian plug aside, I am interested in this topic, because I would like to help ensure that any chickens that do get slaughtered, are suffering as little as possible. And though I'd love to see everyone go vegetarian, I know thats not going to happen -- so I commend all of you for at the very least, showing compassion even to animals raised for meat. Its a sad situation, but we can at least try to make it more humane.

As far as gas goes, I would have thought Carbon Monoxide (CO) to be the most effective -- hundreds of people die every year from accidentally inhaling too much CO, and they seem to do so completely unknowingly. There doesn't appear to be any biological alarm system in the human body that alerts us to high concentrations of CO... Carbon Dioxide (CO2), however, is a different story. It is my understanding that panic/anxiety attacks can be induced by elevating levels of CO2, at least in humans, and I believe I've seen studies done with rabbits as well?

Whether this works on birds the same as humans, I have no idea. A quick google search shows Carbon Monoxide (CO) has been used experimentally for commercial processing of pigs. An easy way to test it might be to create a cozy little chicken chamber with a hose running to the exhaust port of a generator. Some way to make it less noisy would be good, to keep the bird calm, but if the exhaust was used to fill the chamber with CO gas, it could work. You could make sure the chamber has a window so you can watch for signs of discomfort. Just make sure not to accidentally gas yourself -- do it in a very very well ventilated area -- never inside a shack or garage...

Thinking of what might be less dangerous, but still a gas; what about Chloroform?
It is a general anesthetic, and if you could render the chicken wholly unconscious, it could allow you to use any number of methods that are quick and painless while the bird is unconscious.

http://www.amazon.com/Trichloroethy...TF8&qid=1433573256&sr=8-1&keywords=chloroform

Not too expensive either -- it might be as simple as giving the bird a whiff from the open bottle and recapping it immediately. One bottle might last for years? Just trying to think outside the box for the OP. I admire your commitment to this, and I encourage you to keep looking for a better way -- that is how innovation occurs.

Thanks for sharing this. Innovation is a good thing but when you're talking about humanely killing a chicken there will never be anything as definitive and humane as taking a chicken...holding it until it's calm...laying it on its side on a block of wood...then dropping a sharpened hatchet down onto it's neck, completely severing the brain from the rest of the body.

Straight CO has no smell and no color, which is why most people don't notice it and assume they are just fatigued. Car exhaust has both a strong smell and a color, so they will likely notice it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom