DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

I just registered so I could post a reply to this thread. I think I have read all the posts over the last few days and most or all of us want the same thing: a humane way to end the life of our chickens. Last Saturday I killed 4 roosters and processed them. It was my first time, but I have been searching the web and talking to people about the best way to do it. I get no enjoyment out of killing flies and other insects, in fact when I find a wasp in the house I pick him up and take him outside. These were my babies that I raised from 1 day old, so the hardest part was the mental preparation. Of course I have spent months trying to find homes for them, and although I found homes for about 6 or 7 roosters, no one wanted Rhode Island Reds. After the mental preparation, I did research. This is how I did it: I picked the rooster up and sat down with it and talked soothingly too it until I could feel it was not scared and trembling. While talking to it I slipped the rope over each of its feet (I had prepared a rope of soft clothesline 3 or 4 feet long with a loop and slip knot at each end. When the slip knot was tight around each foot I held its legs between the fingers of my right hand and supported the body with my left, when I stood up the rooster hung straight down and flailed a few seconds but by supporting his neck and head with my left hand and stroking his head and neck soon it was handing upside down asleep. Then I could use both hand to tie him to a branch of the apple tree where I wanted him to bleed out. I used a scalpel and made 2 cuts one on each side just above the jaw. I truly do not believe that any of them felt pain from the scalpel, (I nicked myself and did not feel it). Then using a small sharp penknife (I had previously sharpened anything I thought I might have to use) opened his beak and it was easy to see a groove in the top which is where to insert the knife and thrust back toward the eyes, then give a little twist, at which point the chicken should make a tiny squawk sound which indicates a successful pithing and of course, death. Reflexes caused the chickens to flail around, at which point you could step back or as we did on the last one, my husband held the wings to the body until the reflexes were finished. That is why I will find something to use as a cone if I ever have to do this again. This was not something I wanted to do but as the person responsible for getting and raising the chickens, I feel that I did the best I could and I am satisfied that they were not frightened or felt any pain using this method. I was able to pluck the feathers by lying the bird on my lap on a towel and did not have to use the bucket of boiling water except for the wings of the RIRs.

In the last few days I have experimented with my other chickens, picking them up and them hanging them upside down holding their feet. At first they flail then within seconds go limp, at which point I can pick lay them in my left arm like a baby on its back. One of my silkies just goes limp for minutes at a time while I stroke his sternum and talk to him. Every one I have tried it on has totally relaxed for varying periods of time. Has anyone else had experience doing this?

Carol.in.WV :

This was not something I wanted to do but as the person responsible for getting and raising the chickens, I feel that I did the best I could and I am satisfied that they were not frightened or felt any pain using this method.

I think you did really well. It is hard to process an animal that you raised, and "humane" is a matter of personal and social preference. I think your method works for both standards. You found your method, prepared for the procedure, and followed through. Then you found things to improve on if and when you need to do it again. That shows maturity and professionalism. Sorry about the loss of innocence, it will get easier but the uneasiness will probably never entirely go away, which shows that you are still human.

Good job!

Rick​

What about breaking the neck...i have to put down a sick hen and i'm scared to hurt her. Isnt breaking the neck fast AND painless? What way should we do it? Or should we use the ax?

Carol in WV,
welcome-byc.gif

You did very well with your first session, and each time I bet you'll learn something new to make the next session go even easier. I'm wondering why you decided to first slice and then pith? Usually the birds go limp/are dead after the first deep cut that lets the blood out, pithing afterwards seems like overkill. Oh, ha ha, I made a joke. I think some folks pith first to stop their brains, then slice to bleed out. But you & your husband really did a good job on your first attempt, and took a lot of care & consideration for your birds' final experiences.

Redhen, I usually use cervical dislocation when I have to cull any of my dear old layers. I'd rather not make these old pals bleed. I hold them under one arm and grab their head with the other hand, and give a firm decisive yank out and up that breaks the neck, ending their misery instantly.

Quote:
So if i held the hen and my husband yanks her neck hard out and up it will be instant death for her? That much better than the ax...too much can go wrong with the ax..
but..cant they live with a broken neck? i know people can if its broken a certain way...
I dont want to do it and her live through it...that would be the worst thing for me to see...
hit.gif

I am also interested in a humane way to cull. I have 2 baby chicks, one of which I am sure I will need to cull. The other may overcome with some physical therapy. I havent been able to eat for 3 days just thinking of what I may have to do and I really want to be able to do it with no pain involved. One of the chicks has bulging eyes and cant really see, he hasnt been eating and isnt growing along with his normal siblings. He is a week old and i think it is time to end it. The other chick is only a day old, not walking real well with its toes still curled. I put some braces on his feet to keep them spread out (using bandaids) and I am hoping that corrects the problem. To be honest I just dont kow if I have it in me to do what I know needs to be done. I am interested in knowing about the gassing idea if anyone has any info on that. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

redhen: I found this video on BYC, I believe, and it shows the broomstick method to dislocate the neck -- it's fast and humane and doesn't require arm strength or technique. It's good for old or sick hens that you just want to quickly euthanize and don't want to eat.

This video does require you to have a youtube account to view it, since it's considered "adult."

Back
Top Bottom