DIY Incubator Humidity problem

jruhle

Songster
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
I built a styro incubator with using a computer fan, hotwater heater thermostat, and a lightbulb. I put a container of water in it with a wick but the humidity is only hanging around 30%. How do I get the humidity up? Maybe the fan dries the air too much. I tried plugging all the vent holes but it only raised it 5%. Any suggestions? I just set eggs in it today until my broody hens decide to sit.

The trick to getting the higher humidity is using a larger space, not neccesarily deeper. The more space that the water takes up, the higher the humidity.

For instance, if you wet a damp towel and sit it inside, it doesn't have as much water, but it's taking up more space so you will get a higher humidity.

I used a few shallow containers with sponges, and that seemed to do the trick to getting it around 40-45% for the first 18 days. During lockdown I used a wet handtowel and got it to 65-70%.

The trick to getting the higher humidity is using a larger space, not neccesarily deeper. The more space that the water takes up, the higher the humidity.

For instance, if you wet a damp towel and sit it inside, it doesn't have as much water, but it's taking up more space so you will get a higher humidity.

I used a few shallow containers with sponges, and that seemed to do the trick to getting it around 40-45% for the first 18 days. During lockdown I used a wet handtowel and got it to 65-70%.

goodpost.gif
YEP~!

Try the 'dry incubation' method. It's all I ever use. I add no water until lockdown. My humidity for days 0-18 is 25-35% and for lockdown I pour in a cup or 2 of warm water and humidity goes up to 60%.

Thanks for the help guys! If the damp towel doesn't work I'll try the dry incubation! Hopefully I'll get a broody to sit soon. Thanks again!

I had the same issue with a DIY incubator and I had to get to 2 large pie tins and a small desk top water fountain pump and make a small shallow water fall essentially. It cost me $10 all together but increased my humidity from 45% max all plugged up to now being able to control it to over 80%. I can post pictures in a couple days if you like.

Try the 'dry incubation' method. It's all I ever use. I add no water until lockdown. My humidity for days 0-18 is 25-35% and for lockdown I pour in a cup or 2 of warm water and humidity goes up to 60%.

X2 30% is perfect for chicken eggs, (standard/bantam breeds)

As for the last 3 days, you will want to get a large pan, and shred some cotton T-shirts, or shred so cloth towels into 1/4 inch strips, and pile them inside of your pan and soak them with warm water.

By the way, have you thought of adding a water tube and funnel running into the incubator from the outside so you could add water to the incubator during lock down?

It sounds like a lot of you are incubating at significantly lower humidity levels then what most of the instructionals say you should, including the one here on BYC. Why is there such a discrepancy in the information out there? I used the 45-55% then 75% method which I saw described most and had horrible results. They were also shipped eggs so I do not completely blame the incubator. But We are going to try again and we want better results.

I tried a damp towel and it work fantastic but it was getting dry so I wet it a bit and now the humidity is too high! I took the towel out and am going to let it dry out a bit and try again. The towel has to be damp not wet. I'm planning on building another incubator thats a little more user friendly than this one but it is my first and I'm not giving up yet!!! I'll candle the eggs in a day or two to see if I'm making any progress. I do plan on putting in a straw or hose to fill it without opening it.

I've had the same problem with low humidity in my DIY incubator. I have a Hospital Media warmer, that is set to 99.5 only. No temp change. I have water in a tray on the bottom, but cannot get the humidity over 35%. I'm going to try the towels, but I'd love to see some pics of your fountain idea @DroolBubbles. How well does it work?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom