DIY Incubator Humidity problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jruhle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I built a styro incubator with using a computer fan, hotwater heater thermostat, and a lightbulb. I put a container of water in it with a wick but the humidity is only hanging around 30%. How do I get the humidity up? Maybe the fan dries the air too much. I tried plugging all the vent holes but it only raised it 5%. Any suggestions? I just set eggs in it today until my broody hens decide to sit.

2. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    The trick to getting the higher humidity is using a larger space, not neccesarily deeper. The more space that the water takes up, the higher the humidity.

For instance, if you wet a damp towel and sit it inside, it doesn't have as much water, but it's taking up more space so you will get a higher humidity.

I used a few shallow containers with sponges, and that seemed to do the trick to getting it around 40-45% for the first 18 days. During lockdown I used a wet handtowel and got it to 65-70%.

1 person likes this.
  3. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington

[​IMG] YEP~!

1 person likes this.
  4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Try the 'dry incubation' method. It's all I ever use. I add no water until lockdown. My humidity for days 0-18 is 25-35% and for lockdown I pour in a cup or 2 of warm water and humidity goes up to 60%.

5. jruhle

Mar 16, 2012
    Thanks for the help guys! If the damp towel doesn't work I'll try the dry incubation! Hopefully I'll get a broody to sit soon. Thanks again!

6. DroolBubbles

DroolBubbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    I had the same issue with a DIY incubator and I had to get to 2 large pie tins and a small desk top water fountain pump and make a small shallow water fall essentially. It cost me $10 all together but increased my humidity from 45% max all plugged up to now being able to control it to over 80%. I can post pictures in a couple days if you like.

1 person likes this.
  7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    X2 30% is perfect for chicken eggs, (standard/bantam breeds)

As for the last 3 days, you will want to get a large pan, and shred some cotton T-shirts, or shred so cloth towels into 1/4 inch strips, and pile them inside of your pan and soak them with warm water.

By the way, have you thought of adding a water tube and funnel running into the incubator from the outside so you could add water to the incubator during lock down?

8. DroolBubbles

DroolBubbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    It sounds like a lot of you are incubating at significantly lower humidity levels then what most of the instructionals say you should, including the one here on BYC. Why is there such a discrepancy in the information out there? I used the 45-55% then 75% method which I saw described most and had horrible results. They were also shipped eggs so I do not completely blame the incubator. But We are going to try again and we want better results.

9. jruhle

Mar 16, 2012
    I tried a damp towel and it work fantastic but it was getting dry so I wet it a bit and now the humidity is too high! I took the towel out and am going to let it dry out a bit and try again. The towel has to be damp not wet. I'm planning on building another incubator thats a little more user friendly than this one but it is my first and I'm not giving up yet!!! I'll candle the eggs in a day or two to see if I'm making any progress. I do plan on putting in a straw or hose to fill it without opening it.

10. Primespot1

Primespot1 New Egg

Aug 19, 2012
    Langley BC, Canada
    My Coop
    I've had the same problem with low humidity in my DIY incubator. I have a Hospital Media warmer, that is set to 99.5 only. No temp change. I have water in a tray on the bottom, but cannot get the humidity over 35%. I'm going to try the towels, but I'd love to see some pics of your fountain idea @DroolBubbles. How well does it work?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by