DIY Incubator innovation

I think I go with the fan solution sounds perfect! A dht22 will work perfect for both temp and humidity. Arduino is a good way to start. Lots of exampel codes. I like pic because they are so cheap no disaster when you burn one and they are more flexible.

Hi newinthegame, I'm also a newbie.

I made an icubator but want to have a better control over the temperature. Can you share your layout an give a description of your incubator. Photos will be great!

I have not started the construction of my incubator. i will as soon as I get out to my summer house. My plan is to have it working by March 1st. First I will have my control system in order. I made some tests yesterday in a simple plastic box and it worked perfect. With this system it is easy to have control of your temp.

Below is a CAD drawing of my incubator that I will build. This is the first design so some changes will for sure be done before I build it.

Not much has happen last week. I have tried to learn about a clock IC. It now works. I have also thinked about my egg turner. Is it better to have the egg on the floor and roll them? I want to have the eggs on their sides. Feels like I need less torque from the motor if I have them on the floor. What to you think?

The Brinsea Mini uses a disk with oval holes cut into it, when the disc is rotated, the eggs turn. If you look at how that's designed, you could make something similar using a plate instead, and then push the plate back and forth. It will need quite a lot of extra space though, you need to drag it probably about 10cm (4") back and forth,maybe even more. Another idea would be to have a stationary plate that holds the eggs in place, with a conveyor belt underneath, or you could have a solid plate under the one with holes that is dragged back and forth. If you make slots in both ends of the incubator, it won't take up space inside, but it will stick out on the outsides. Or then you can go with a rotating disc design. The cradles or shelves might be better if you're short on space though, they could be turned with a belt system with less wasted space. Yet another idea would would be to have the eggs resting on cylindrical rolls, with a small gear fixed between each roll so that they all turn in the same direction. The eggs could rest between the rolls. But if you're going to hatch in the same incubator, the plates are probably the best idea. If you automate the turning, make sure that you can shut off the turning as well for the last three days.

Again a bit of ideas from the top of my head, hope they provide you with something useful.
smile.png

Last edited:
That was many cool ideas!I have been thinking of cylindrical rolls but discard it. Because it was to many parts needed gears bearings... I think I go with the plate solution. If I mount a simple camshaft on the motorshaft it should it should pushi it back and forth. I drawback is as you said it need more space. I quail egg has a circumference of 3 cm. Then the camshaft shuld be (3*3.14/2)=5 cm. So I need 10 cm extra total.

Like I said, if you leave a small slot in both ends, you can push the plate out on both sides of the incubator. This would have the added effect of not exposing moving parts to the chick dust. You'll need airholes in it anyway.

Last edited:
It should handle it. If it dont I just add one more lamp. How often should the eggs be turned? For now I have programed it to turn once per hour. Is it better to turn everey 30 min. Or can you turn to often?

Back
Top Bottom