DIY Incubator need info?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jwatts, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my DIY incu that i have recently put together, I have been testing it to get ready for incubating. I have been having pretty good temp holdings. I have 2 incuwarehouse thermometers in it. I have been holding about 99.2-100.5 on both thermos at its lowest and highest marks. Will chicks still grow/hatch at 99.2? I have noticed once and a while the temp recently has dipped to 98.3 on the lower egg turning tray. I don't understand why, no water was added nor was door open. Could this be a faulty wafer thermo? should i change the Wafer? Im not sure if this was just a glitch or not. The fan is pretty powerful, but i notice the top tray seems to be slightly warmer than the bottom by about .5-1 deg. any info would be greatly appriciated. thank you

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I think you may need to adjust where your fans are inside. That may help to distribute the heat better. 99.2 is a bit low and 98.3 is really no good. You need to get it up between 99.5 and 99.8. Doesn't sound like a whole lot more than 99.2, but it makes a difference in the development of the embryos.

Also, adding water may help hold the temp steady. So I would work on the fan position with water added and you might get it in good order. Make sure you have good venting to bring in outside air as well.

But good job so far!

3. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    Heat rises so the lower section will probably always be a little cooler.

You will have to blow the heat back down.

Like what twocrowsranch said a little adjustment of the fan would probably help a lot.

My incubator has 4 fans to help blow the air in every corner of the incubator. I like my bator a lot it keeps temps right on. No variation 99.5 the whole time :D

P.s. That is a very nice looking bator. I need to put a light in mine [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  4. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Thank you, i now have 3 thermometers in there, im getting a little obsesed!! i have been reading for the last 1.5 hours 99.3-100.4 (lowest/highest) at various depths of the incu. I will let everyone know what happens in a few hours or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by