DIY Incubator Question

Good morning!
We have a small flock of 8 hens and a rooster. They were two years old in March and as winter came to a close we were surprised to find that they still are not laying much. Two of our lazy hens stay on the roost till about 11am! The solution of course was to comb the internet researching how to build an incubator. Fast forward a couple of weeks and our incubator is done. I've collected eggs from my lazy birds and also gathered some from a neighbor who has his own flock.
The problem I am having is that my temperature varies by about 3 1/2 degrees from the top tier to the bottom tier. This is a forced air incubator that pushes the hot air down and has a return at the bottom to draw the return air back up. I'm not too savvy on thermodynamics but I think that if this test hatch doesn't work out well, I'll rebuild it [upside-down].
I've set the eggs due to the fact that some of them have been collected over the course of this past week and I couldn't wait longer. I distributed them strategically through the incubator to study the hatch rate in the various corners and levels. Anyone out there with suggestions to even out the heat distribution? I added a UTH just above the return air vent hoping to increase the heat in the lower tier but I don't see a difference. I'm out of ideas.

Note that the temp you see in the picture is because I had just set the eggs and it was still warming up. I have it set at 100 degrees +/- one.

View attachment 2135538
Very nice build out.

OK, not to be greedy, but...

How many birds do you have, that you had that many eggs to incubate? (so I can better size mine)

Have you considered (PLEASE!) investing your time for no more reward than our thanks in posting how you built that, together with a cost estimate?

I'm going down the home built incubator route myself, just starts trying to select a thermostat control and heat source, come to see these posts, and frankly, its awesome.

Also, how are you turning the eggs? Manually, or by moving those trays (what are they/where did you find them???)

OK, I admit it, I'm greedy for your experience. This is pretty awesome.

Btw, heat always rises and bowl of water needs to be close to the heat source to create humidity. As tall as your DIY incubator is, I might have placed the heat source on the bottom with the fans on (top sides) to blow it back down. So in a sense it would work more like a convection oven. And add hygrometers on each tray levels.

But you definitely did a wonderful job with your construction. Congratulations.

OK, not to be greedy, but...

How many birds do you have, that you had that many eggs to incubate? (so I can better size mine)

Have you considered (PLEASE!) investing your time for no more reward than our thanks in posting how you built that, together with a cost estimate?

I'm going down the home built incubator route myself, just starts trying to select a thermostat control and heat source, come to see these posts, and frankly, its awesome.

Also, how are you turning the eggs? Manually, or by moving those trays (what are they/where did you find them???)

OK, I admit it, I'm greedy for your experience. This is pretty awesome.
I actually do have a cost estimate sheet that I don't mind posting at all. I've posted already in several places. Are you asking me to write a separate post detailing how I built this? I can do that. In fact, over the next couple of months, I'm planning to refine it and build another one. Perhaps with that build I'll document it a bit for an instructional post.
Thank you for the compliments. I'm happy to answer your questions.
I currently have 60 birds.
The trays I'm using are automatic egg turners. They run about $48 each at Tractor Supply (at least my local store). That was absolutely the most expensive part of this. To save money, you could just build the hatching boxes and manually turn your eggs. I didn't want to do that so I bought the egg turners. You could also shop around for different brands and types of egg turners to use. Without the cost of the turners, this entire thing (assuming you have to buy everything) will run you about $150. Most people though will already have some of the stuff you need on hand or can obtain it for free or next to it.

Btw, heat always rises and bowl of water needs to be close to the heat source to create humidity. As tall as your DIY incubator is, I might have placed the heat source on the bottom with the fans on (top sides) to blow it back down. So in a sense it would work more like a convection oven. And add hygrometers on each tray levels.

But you definitely did a wonderful job with your construction. Congratulations.
I've thought of that. We actually are planning to build another one in the next couple of months with some modifications to address that. Thank you so much for the input.

I will look for your prior build posts, @TheBajan and follow closely your next build. That looks like a "little giant" egg turner, now that I inspect the pictures more closely with a reference. Sadly, they won't do duck eggs. I'll keep looking. My flock size is half yours, so perhaps two trays will do me, once I find or manufacture something of adequate size for ducks, too.

In any event, good build and great notes, very helpful.

I will look for your prior build posts, @TheBajan and follow closely your next build. That looks like a "little giant" egg turner, now that I inspect the pictures more closely with a reference. Sadly, they won't do duck eggs. I'll keep looking. My flock size is half yours, so perhaps two trays will do me, once I find or manufacture something of adequate size for ducks, too.

In any event, good build and great notes, very helpful.
@U_Stormcrow
The posts are on Facebook. Yes, they are little giant. I don't know if it's allowed here or not to post links to outside sites so I won't. I can guide you to the youtube video that inspired this build. In it, they build one with just two levels instead of three. If you want my spec sheet, I can send it to you. Would that help?
On youtube, search for DIY Incubators by Coturnix Corner. I believe he has a short list of suppies you will need. It might be better for you as my cut list is a little different than his.

Back
Top Bottom