DIY Incubator Questions

After running all night with the new position of the thermostat and the heat sinks, I am still having swings. I have two thermometers agreeing and the bulb thermometer is running 2-3 degrees lower than the digitals, so I'm not sure what to trust. The digitals are reading light comes on at 98.2 and turns off at 101.0. I sat with a stop watch to time how long it's out of the "zone" in a cycle. In a complete on/off cycle, it spends 1:39 (m:s) cool, 6:21 between 99.5 and 100.5, and 0:59 hot. That isn't too horrible.

I put the probe in the water worm that's been in there the whole time and it seems to be staying between 99.9 and 100.4 (this is only over the last half hour, but I'm hoping it's as warm as it'll get after being in there for 20 hours now). It's in the right range, so maybe it's fine? I kind of feel the 100.4 is too close for comfort, though. I could turn the thermostat down, but that would also lower the overall incubator temp. I'm not really sure which thing to worry about more, or even how accurate any of these readings are.

You can quickly determine the general accuracy of your thermometers by immersing them in an ice bath and seeing which one(s) read 32F/0C.

Yeah, I did that. The Acurite was the closest digital at 32.7. The Taylor bulb thermometer looked spot on. However, right now, the Accurate is reading 100.0 and the Taylor is reading 98. So something is fishy. I am picking up a terrarium thermometer this afternoon. I am sure to get yet another temp from that thing. The company said that it's accurate within a degree, where as the Acurite website gives all of their thermometers a +/-4. Right now, I'm missing the days of readily available mercury thermometers. ;) For some reason, I had not expected thermometer accuracy to be the thorn in my side with this endeavor.

eta I think the Taylor is out of the mix. The two digitals are reading 99.9/99.6 and the Taylor is reading at 80.

Last edited:
his is my homemade bator and it.seems to be doing the job just fine but will have to see come day 21

After running all night with the new position of the thermostat and the heat sinks, I am still having swings. I have two thermometers agreeing and the bulb thermometer is running 2-3 degrees lower than the digitals, so I'm not sure what to trust. The digitals are reading light comes on at 98.2 and turns off at 101.0. I sat with a stop watch to time how long it's out of the "zone" in a cycle. In a complete on/off cycle, it spends 1:39 (m:s) cool, 6:21 between 99.5 and 100.5, and 0:59 hot. That isn't too horrible.

I put the probe in the water worm that's been in there the whole time and it seems to be staying between 99.9 and 100.4 (this is only over the last half hour, but I'm hoping it's as warm as it'll get after being in there for 20 hours now). It's in the right range, so maybe it's fine? I kind of feel the 100.4 is too close for comfort, though. I could turn the thermostat down, but that would also lower the overall incubator temp. I'm not really sure which thing to worry about more, or even how accurate any of these readings are.
I think you got it. The temp in the water worm is the one I would worry about most as you are heating the inside of the egg. the outside temp in the bator can and will fluctuate but the major concern is the egg.` Ideal temp for incubating is 99.5 +-1 so I would go with it. I have hatched dozens of fuzzy butts with temps just like yours.

I think you got it. The temp in the water worm is the one I would worry about most as you are heating the inside of the egg. the outside temp in the bator can and will fluctuate but the major concern is the egg.` Ideal temp for incubating is 99.5 +-1 so I would go with it. I have hatched dozens of fuzzy butts with temps just like yours.

Thanks! You have been so incredibly helpful and patient with me. I really appreciate it.

his is my homemade bator and it.seems to be doing the job just fine but will have to see come day 21

Looks pretty slick. What day are you on? Do you use a thermostat or are you controlling temps manually?

Back
Top Bottom