Diy incubator

yup, so far it is working, I can hardly wait until the 18th to get here! That's if I'm right about the date! I'm gonna lock down those days anyway, and see what happens

A rule of thumb when counting the days to a hatch: One day is 24 full hours, so when you first set your eggs in the incubator, if you set them in the morning by the end of the day that day can count as the first day. If you set them in the afternoon or evening, the next day will count as the first day, then you just count from there. You should lockdown between days 18 & 19, I usually stop turning halfway through day 18. Your chicks should hatch on the 21st day. But don't worry if your chicks don't hatch right on day 21, that's not an exact number. I've had several batches where the chicks don't start hatching till late into the 22nd day and some people have had them start even later. Just try to be patient and wait, and remember to not open your incubator during lockdown. I hope your hatch goes really well!!!

A rule of thumb when counting the days to a hatch: One day is 24 full hours, so when you first set your eggs in the incubator, if you set them in the morning by the end of the day that day can count as the first day. If you set them in the afternoon or evening, the next day will count as the first day, then you just count from there. You should lockdown between days 18 & 19, I usually stop turning halfway through day 18. Your chicks should hatch on the 21st day. But don't worry if your chicks don't hatch right on day 21, that's not an exact number. I've had several batches where the chicks don't start hatching till late into the 22nd day and some people have had them start even later. Just try to be patient and wait, and remember to not open your incubator during lockdown. I hope your hatch goes really well!!!
Thank you i Hope so too! the problem I have is I don't really know what day I'm on, I have no idea how long the hen sat before she quit and another hen kept adding to her clutch so I have some id say look like day 10s (guessing from Internet pics) and others that look like day 6 or 7's. I've had a hard time with that, I've never done this before, and I've already had to toss a few bad ones...

Last edited:
Thank you i Hope so too! the problem I have is I don't really know what day I'm on, I have no idea how long the hen sat before she quit and another hen kept adding to her clutch so I have some id say look like day 10s (guessing from Internet pics) and others that look like day 6 or 7's. I've had a hard time with that, I've never done this before, and I've already had to toss a few bad ones...

Oh, that is hard, when it doubt lock down and stop turning a little earlier than later. And maybe raise the humidity when you really see them rocking or hear the first peeps. Just try not to open the incubator a whole lot after they first pip internally, or break their air cell. ( When you hear the first peeps. )

Oh, that is hard, when it doubt lock down and stop turning a little earlier than later. And maybe raise the humidity when you really see them rocking or hear the first peeps. Just try not to open the incubator a whole lot after they first pip internally, or break their air cell. ( When you hear the first peeps. )
OK thanks! Fingers crossed everything will go well and we will have baby chicks on the 21st!

Back
Top Bottom