DIY quail battery cages

Quote:
I just acquired my 6 A&Ms last week. The gentleman I got them from said he got them as chicks in "mid-winter" and they hadn't laid any eggs for him. He had them each separated into 1 bird per 12x12 cage. I'm keeping them in a colony in a wire cage--everyone's getting along beautifully, but no eggs. I hope out of 6 SOMEONE'S a hen...
lau.gif
Your birds are beautiful! As I said, mine are microscopic and stubborn.
lol.png

Not exactly sure why mine have been laying so well.

Guess it just the deep South? But if they were NOT laying, I would put 14 hours of some sort of light on them and get them going ....... I had purchased some cheap 10 watt lights that I never even used to force them to lay in the winter.

Mine do get a lot of direct morning sun so maybe that helps.

It seems they really do well on the Purina plummage and flight conditioner feed. I have to order it every few weeks since the only feed available is Nutrena feeds. The Nutrena is way to powdery and dusty so much of it is wasted.

Yeah I have noted that most of the southern states either had no drop in egg production or they started up as early as february! I was so jealous when i heard that people down south were already having eggs. I''m just NOW getting 9 eggs a day.... LOL and they all still arent laying yet... but collecting 9 today PUT me on cloud NINE LOL.

Quote:
That's what Monarc said, too...they were previously kept in a VERY covered aviary in further covered cages--kinda like tiny dark caves. I've got them on my covered porch, so they aren't getting direct light, but they are getting sunshine. I think I'll put a reflector dome on them and see what I can get going. I'm feeding them 20% chick starter (that's all I could find within a 50 mile radius of me!) and have supplemented with cat food and mealworms. I'll look into the feed store ordering me the Purina, thanks!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
The additional lighting works for my birds. I got 71 eggs today. I also, feed a breeder/flight conditioner feed to all my breeders.
Sorry Monarc and Chickadeedle, I'm sure your egg count will improve with the spring.

Brad

Quote:
The additional lighting works for my birds. I got 71 eggs today. I also, feed a breeder/flight conditioner feed to all my breeders.
Sorry Monarc and Chickadeedle, I'm sure your egg count will improve with the spring.

Brad

Holy cannoli!
th.gif
(fainted from envy) I'll certainly be sticking the light on 'em now. Will any bulb do the job, or do I need a UV bulb?

Quote:
Just noticed you're from TN, too--hey neighbor!
tongue.png
Thanks for the information. I'll put a 50w on them and leave it for 14 hours. We'll see if that jump starts anything. If by chance I had 6 roos, would they all live peacefully together in a 3x2x3 cage?
hmm.png
I hope I don't have all roos....

Quote:
Just noticed you're from TN, too--hey neighbor!
tongue.png
Thanks for the information. I'll put a 50w on them and leave it for 14 hours. We'll see if that jump starts anything. If by chance I had 6 roos, would they all live peacefully together in a 3x2x3 cage?
hmm.png
I hope I don't have all roos....

Hey Neighbor,

If they are over six weeks old your roos should be crowing.

As far as them getting along with one another, I have never had any problems with mine fighting enough for one to hurt another. At the most maybe a pecking order type of spat. I have heard other on BYC say they have had problems; however, I haven't had any.

Brad

Quote:

Brad

thanks for the sympathies, im actually pretty excited aboutthe 9 I got yesterday, hopefully the number keeps raising everyday
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom