DIY styrofoam incubator

nayeli

Songster
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
I really want to become more self sufficient and get more humane organically raised food. I'm planning on raising rabbits, ducks, chickens, and quail. The only thing I would really need to incubate would be quail since I can't find anyone selling live ones nearby. I will be on a budget since we are buying our first house and I need to stretch my dollar as far as possible (lots of projects, little money). Anyway in researching I came across this blog with a homemade incubator. How do ya'll think it would work? Also is there a light I could use rather than dimmer switch that would maintain the right temperature.
http://nanaglenmum.wordpress.com/2009/09/21/my-homemade-egg-incubator/

Thoughts? Also anyone know of a cheap incubator that works? I can't buy one second hand here, its hard to even find cages used where I am...

I'm also thinking if I find a local BYC member that I could buy the hatching eggs and split them with them for incubating them... Would ya'll do that if another member near you asked/offered? I'm just curious if that could be a backup plan.

I have built several incubators out of styrofoam boxes and also drew up some plans as well. here they are. I use recycled material that I obtained from around the house and from the local thrift store. total cost depends on what you already have around. At most I would say $25 to make one at most

The finished product!

What are the water bottles for? The two lights create 100 degree temp?

Also what is the wattage of the light bulbs, and do you not have a sponge or a water source for humidity... or was that the water bottles and I'm not understanding?

Also what is the wattage of the light bulbs, and do you not have a sponge or a water source for humidity... or was that the water bottles and I'm not understanding?
I use two 60 watt bulbs and in the instructions I noted that I use a vegetable can with paper towels in it to act as a wick. the water bottles are used to hold heat and help reduce temp fluctuations.

If you can find a cheap (maybe used?) plastic cooler, I highly recommend the upgrade! They hold temp much better and are a million times more sturdy. If you have to make any adjustments to the styrofoam box you'll see how flimsy they are. You have a lot more room to play with your setup in a plastic one. Also, If your light were to burn out, you'd have more time to find and fix the failure before the temp drops too much. I got a used cooler at goodwill for a few bucks, and I've seen them at yard sales cheap too.

With a plastic cooler what about the wires from the light and such?

Plastic coolers aren't expensive so I have no issues getting one I'm just wondering how it would work since you cant cut out the side.

You can use a drill to put holes where needed to put wires through and once everything is installed and wires fitted through you can pull the excess wire through and use bathroom calking to seal the holes.

Back
Top Bottom