DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Well...you might see some interesting "poos" in the next day or so
tongue.png
Haha. That is it though, huh? That it isn't too unhealthy, is all I was worried about. :) I figure once every few weeks.
I can handle funky poop. They had chunky neon green once... not sure what I fed them that time!!

Winterized water dispensers
We have two water dispensers; one in the coop and one in the run.
They are constructed from plastic toilet tanks. Plastic toilet tanks have several advantages:
· 1. They have a built-in fill valve that can be connected directly to main water pressure (see connector on the left). There is no need to refill them during the warm seasons.
· 2. They are insulated for temperature stability.
· 3. They have a flush mechanism so that the water can be changed on demand.
· 4. They are built to be hung a on a wall and include the necessary mounting hardware.
· 5. They are structurally made to hold water. I have tried hanging coolers and they tend to slowly fall apart.
· 6. They cost about 20 Euros on ebay.
That. Is. Brilliant!

But all I get on EBay when I search for "plastic toilet tank" are lids and toilet innards
hit.gif

Last edited:
I posted some pics in post 1774 already.
Here are two of my augsburgers using the outside tank.
From the bottom, you see the garden hose, the wires for the water heater and ds1820 temperature sensor and at the top the ultrasound transducer protected with a plastic cover.

Yesterday I (with my DH for help) built an incubator out of a mini fridge. I want to put it on the incubator page but thought I'd put it here for opinions first.Sorry for all the pics.

Supply list:

Old mini fridge
Flex Watt- slightly thinner than the width of the fridge
plexiglass- sized to fit the door
2 hinges with bolts
1x2 wood - to frame plex for door
spray foam
silicone sealant
computer fans
a good thermostat
a few zipties
Velcro

First I removed the motor ,compressor tubing ,door and all freon. Then attached and wired in 11 inch Flex Watt across the back and bottom.

Then I drilled a hole in the back wall for the turner cords.

For the door I framed the plex with the 1x2, painted it to match and mounted the salvaged magnetic seal from the original door. For proper support I had to bolt through the body of the fridge to mount the hinges.

Next place the shelving and fit in auto egg-turners (mine were one row to long to fit so I used a dremel and adapted it.Also I had only two shelves and three turners this was my solution. I used silicone sealant to attach it.) In the freezer section I was able to find a Rubbermaid tub the perfect size for a brooder/hatching tray.

Under the bottom shelf above the crisper drawer( I used the crisper drawer for the water well) install computer fan wired to an old cellphone charger.

Now that all wires are ran out the drilled hole in the back double check they reach as needed and use spray foam to fill in the drilled hole and seal them in place.Let the foam set before proceeding.Lastly mount and plug the thermostat to the flex watt. A bit of velcro secures the thermostat to the top of the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom